New Marlin XT-17VO , no accuracy

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by mrwintr, Mar 16, 2013.

1. jcoberley

jcoberley New Member

My Marlin 17 XT 17V Try a CCI 20gr I can cover my group with a dime at 100 yards, using a 3x9 Bushnell Banner scope.

2. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

Update....6 months and still no trigger assy. Wow Marlin is really on top of things! :rolleyes:

3. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

I am getting ready to contact Marlin again to see why I haven't yet been able to get a replacement trigger assy. that they have owed me since Spring of this year....unfortunately I am pretty sure they will say they still don't have them in stock.
    This is the worst customer care I have ever seen....ever!

4. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I getting ready to purchase two, maybe more .22 bolt guns for the new 50 yard rimfire range. PRETTY SURE they wont be Marlins. Savage, CZ, and looking at the new Ruger American .22. I have an OLD 1939 Marlin bolt gun that I like a lot, and my Model 60, made about 14 years ago. I will be keeping those, but no more of the new ones ........ :(

5. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I'll just stick with my 795

6. pearlygates

pearlygates Member

Eeesh! This isn't the first horror story I have heard regarding Marlin since the merge / buyout with Remington.
    Big fish swallows up little fish and little fish rots in big fish's belly.
    I just got a new model 60 for Christmas. Luckily I was there to look it over before slapping down the green backs. Going to take it out to the range in a few days to get it sighted in. The microgroove barrels were the winner in my decision to purchase another new Marlin.
    My heart goes out to the thread operator. Hope you can get some justice soon.

7. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

Same old same old....worse actually!

It has been almost 8 months now waiting for a replacement trigger assy. for my .17 ... now things are even worse because I can't seem to get connected to a human that will explain anything anymore. They have revamped their messages when you call so that you enter the order# and then it just tells me that it hasn't shipped...Woopee! I have never seen any customer service that is worse than this Marlin/Remington company. Actually I believe it is called Freedom Group which covers Marlin, Remington, Bushmaster, H&R, and others.
    As for "Pearlygates" getting a new Model 60, I hope it functions well and you keep it clean and have a good time shooting it...I have an old Model 60 too and after I completely rebuilt the internals it has been a fine shooter, but if it starts to malfunction it may be a build up of crud in the action....it's a very common problem with that model. The 60 has been around for a long time so you should be good.
    PS; Don't break your trigger guard, they are never in stock either and people who sell them on Ebay and various places really hammer you on price.

8. AR_hillbilly

AR_hillbilly Member

I'm glad I read this tonight. I was at a LGS a couple days ago and looked at a Marlin in 17 HMR. The main reason is because you can't hardly find 22 LR or 22 mag ammo, but most of the shelfs are plumb full of 17 ammo. The one I looked at had a black synthetic stock, heavy barrel, and a box magazine. I actually thought about it just because there is ammo available for itbut decided to wait a bit. Sure glad I did now. :eek:

9. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

UPDATE!! Finally...

Got to talk to Marlin tech and he was able to hook me up with a Nickel colored trigger assy... He sent it and I got it in a few days. The funny part of that is the trigger that came on my XT-17 was nickel, so I'm not sure why I had to wait so long, it sounded like they had had this nickel colored trigger assy. the whole time I have been waiting. The guy also said he was still going to send me a black one when they do come in stock....OK..
    There is at least one person working for Marlin that has proven to be worthy!

10. mrtwister

mrtwister New Member

Marlin XT-17 Barrel lug movement cure. When I first purchased the Marlin I removed the barrel from the stock and the barrel lug dropped to the floor. I replaced the lug but was not happy with the amount of play between the lug and the barrel. I again removed the barrel lug and drilled and tapped it 8/32 and installed a 8-32 x 1/4 set screw. Wala the barrel lug will no longer move. Accuracy also improved after this fix.

Jim

11. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Pretty sharp,Jim!

12. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

A friend of mine bought a new model 60 Remlin and it is hard to get it to chamber the first round. Seems the round gets stuck against the spring loaded part that I guess is supposed to kick the round up to chamber. It seems lucky to fire a full mag of rounds without a jam. There is also a spring loaded wire that sticks out across the slide. I looked at my old Glenfield Model 60 and that wire is straight inline with the slide.
    I have heard the new Marlin 336 are having problems big time. I am glad I got an old JB model.