New to Hunting

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by Dennis58, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Dennis58

Dennis58 Member

New to this sport but have heard from others that my new rifle should be a Marlin 30-30. I am waiting on 5 different Wal-Marts to resupply their stock. Just asking what others think.
    Thanks
    Dennis.

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Marlin Forum. Glad to have you with us.
    And welcome to the sport of hunting.The Marlin 30-30 is a fine choice. Can't help but ask what you want to hunt for and where will you be hunting?

3. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Welcome to the forum!!! What are ya gonna use it for?

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum Dennis !!

Not sure where you are located or what you are planning to hunt...

5. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

If your hunting for deer, Marlin 30-30 is one of the top choice weapons to get the job done.

6. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum

7. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

30-30 is excellent choice for ranges within 150 yards. Out here in western wa the woods are so thick in places you can`t hear yourself fart in the rain..Its very popular for deer and some elk hunters still use them...Many will tell you that the modern deer is impervious to everything except the new wizz-bang super magnum..But remember that there was a time that the 30-30 was the new wizz-bang super magnum..Its not just about the excellent caliber. Its a companion that won`t fail you and a shear joy to walk thru the woods with...IMHO the most beautiful rifle ever made

8. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Dennis. The Marlin 336 is a nice handling easy carrying deer rifle. When the country gets a new President you will be able to find 30-30 ammo in every gun store in America. That's one of the nice things about the caliber...ammo availability.

If it was my money I would look for an older Marlin made before the cross bolt safety. The workmanship is superior to anything made today.

9. Dennis58

Dennis58 Member

Thanks. I'm in central florida and look to hunt hog and deer in north florida.

10. Dennis58

Dennis58 Member

Thanks. Looking forward to hunting some hogs and then deer in season.

11. Dennis58

Dennis58 Member

Thanks looking forward to getting some hogs here in florida.