Marlin Forums banner

New to me model 60, recommended upgrades?

15K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Fasteddie01 
#1 ·
Hi there:D...I just bought a model 60, with an 02 beginning serial number, which I believe makes it a '98.
I did some research on the model 60, and it seems the factory trigger is a bit stiff, so I plan a trigger upgrade. What do you guys recommend?
I also plan to Cerakote it, I'm leaning towards purple, and refinishing the wood stock to a dark cherry color. Any experience with the spray on Cerakote?
Any other upgrades I should consider?
The planned use is just an inexpensive plinker, and project gun.
I actually was going to buy a Ruger 10/22 until I read that the Marlin was more accurate. That and the fact that the 10/22 name came from the ability to kill 22 people with 10 shots, (Actual twitter post from an anti gun nutcase) and I won't have such a killing machine in my home!:rolleyes:

#2 ·
Congratulations. I have a '98 model 60SB. To comment on your questions.

I find the factory triggers fine. A little wet sanding/polishing of the metal to metal surfaces inside will help, careful not to remove too much material from the hammer/sear. Wet sanding the bolt all around, the inside of the receiver, basically anything metal to metal. I also take a dremel to the ridged factory trigger and smooth that out.

I'll leave the purple Cerakote alone, it's your gun.

Upgrades:
1. DIP trigger guard and smooth target trigger. Drop in replacement for the plastic trigger guard, you just need to move the safety and can re-use the factory trigger if you want. Search "dip marlin trigger". I replaced all the trigger guards on my 60's and have the target trigger on one. The next order I place will be for the wide, smooth triggers as well.
2. Steel magazine follower, available from a guy on ebay for like $13 shipped.
3. Upgraded sights or scope. For open sights I recommend Tech Sights, GI style adjustable peep sight and front post, or the Williams fiber optic set. For a scope I highly recommend the Simmons 22 Mag scopes comes with rings and fits the dovetail grooves on the receiver nicely.

DIP also makes an "upgraded" charging handle, haven't bothered with one of those yet.

I prefer Marlins, I have 8 Marlin 22 rifles. I don't have a 10/22, although I do have a Ruger 22/45 and a Single-Six.

• Helpful
Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
#3 ·
...also, if you don't want to spring for the DIP stuff.. MCARBO makes an excellent set of springs that will change the trigger from OK to Very Good.

+1 on the Tech Sights.

BH

• Helpful
#6 ·
#8 ·
I actually have the gun now!:D
The buffer was in many little pieces, and a couple large ones, but the rest of the gun isn't too bad. Really isn't even as dirty as I expected.
Rust isn't too bad, mostly just a little minor surface rust.
Stock is pretty good, but that's going away, in favor of a Boyds laminated one.
I'm going with the McCarbo spring kit, and the better buffer.
Paint will be a satin blue to match the Boyds stock.
Since everyone likes pics......

#15 · (Edited)
I finally spent a little quality time with my "new" 60. Cleaned out the action, really wasn't too bad, replaced the springs with the Mcarbo kit, installed the new buffer and stock, and Simmons 3-9 .22 mag scope. Not bad for under $300 so far, huh? Try that with a 10/22! Can't wait to shoot it!!!!
I still want to Cerakote it, but I will wait until it gets a bit warmer n the spring, I don't want to do it in the house.

Attachments

#20 ·
Hi there:D...I just bought a model 60, with an 02 beginning serial number, which I believe makes it a '98. I did some research on the model 60, and it seems the factory trigger is a bit stiff, so I plan a trigger upgrade. What do you guys recommend? I also plan to Cerakote it, I'm leaning towards purple, and refinishing the wood stock to a dark cherry color. Any experience with the spray on Cerakote? Any other upgrades I should consider? The planned use is just an inexpensive plinker, and project gun. I actually was going to buy a Ruger 10/22 until I read that the Marlin was more accurate. That and the fact that the 10/22 name came from the ability to kill 22 people with 10 shots, (Actual twitter post from an anti gun nutcase) and I won't have such a killing machine in my home!:rolleyes:
The ruger 10 22 is named such because it is a 10 round 22 rifle out of the box. If you seriously believe that statement you should surrender all your guns and get some form of gun education. "Killing machine" Laughable!! Stop spreading misinformation because you believe what a whacko on the internet said in a Twitter post. I bet you believe anything anyone tells you.

#23 ·
The Marlin 60 came out b4 the "Killer 10/22" and started life with 18 rounds - AND is more accurate. And costs less. And is now owned by Ruger, so likely will not appear. Ruger has already said they WILL NOT use the Micro-groove rifling. Maybe now the 10/22 will have a chance to be the cheapest most accurate 22 - except for Wildcats and Savage 64s and Sav A22s, etc.
Happy Holidays :love:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.