Marlin Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just became the proud owner of a 1975 vintage model 60 marlin rifle. Aside from a few stock scratches, and a front trigger guard screw and nut missing it's in pretty fair shape. bore is perfect and barrel had only minor surface rust.
I ordered the screw and nut, took off the rust with gun oil and 0000 steel wool, and gave the bore a meticulous cleaning. Voila! Basically a brand new gun for 100$ plus $7.95 in parts. Trigger still needs a little work, but is currently functional. Seems the previous owner like to oil things heavily, and was using something that would cake up into a yellow/orange gunk, so I spent a little time degriming the action and trigger assembly.
I don't believe that it has had more than 100 rounds through it, as there is essentially no metal to metal wear in the action and very little powder residue anywhere.
A search for a dedicated rifle to use in small-bore cowboy sillouette has been fufilled, as this is a tube feed semi-auto, and qualifies under NRA rules. A set of TECH precision peep sights and I'm ready. This is also a hold open on last shot model which is even better.:p

·
Banned
7,853 Posts
Congratulations :)

We like Pictures

:)

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
For sure! And as stated, we like pictures

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Model 60 is only about 7 years old, yes it was made under Remington's ownership, and did require a few hundred rounds to break it in, as if that is a chore. That little brass burner is more accurate than any $150 gun should be, it is the synthetic stocked version and came with a cheap Chinese 4x scope.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Beautiful, Nice find. Thanks for bringing life back into an old classic. That rifle should serve you well and is something you can pass down to a family member someday.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have a model 60 from around 1978 and it is very accurate and shoots any ammo I feed it.. About 2 years ago a friend bought a new Remlin model 60 and it jams quite often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts