New to me model 60

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by gunman5646, Oct 28, 2016.

1. gunman5646

gunman5646 Member

Just became the proud owner of a 1975 vintage model 60 marlin rifle. Aside from a few stock scratches, and a front trigger guard screw and nut missing it's in pretty fair shape. bore is perfect and barrel had only minor surface rust.
    I ordered the screw and nut, took off the rust with gun oil and 0000 steel wool, and gave the bore a meticulous cleaning. Voila! Basically a brand new gun for 100$ plus $7.95 in parts. Trigger still needs a little work, but is currently functional. Seems the previous owner like to oil things heavily, and was using something that would cake up into a yellow/orange gunk, so I spent a little time degriming the action and trigger assembly.
    I don't believe that it has had more than 100 rounds through it, as there is essentially no metal to metal wear in the action and very little powder residue anywhere.
    A search for a dedicated rifle to use in small-bore cowboy sillouette has been fufilled, as this is a tube feed semi-auto, and qualifies under NRA rules. A set of TECH precision peep sights and I'm ready. This is also a hold open on last shot model which is even better.:p

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

Congratulations :)

We like Pictures

:)

3. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

For sure! And as stated, we like pictures

4. gunman5646

gunman5646 Member

I'll go find my camera and send pics after installing the sights.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Congrats on the new Model 60...a great rifle for sure !!

Here is my Circa 1980 Glenfield...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 Member

My Model 60 is only about 7 years old, yes it was made under Remington's ownership, and did require a few hundred rounds to break it in, as if that is a chore. That little brass burner is more accurate than any $150 gun should be, it is the synthetic stocked version and came with a cheap Chinese 4x scope.

7. gunman5646

gunman5646 Member

Here are the pics!

[​IMG]I did find a couple other things out of spec, but was able to fix myself. Total cost so far $185. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  8. Underdog

Underdog Member

Beautiful, Nice find. Thanks for bringing life back into an old classic. That rifle should serve you well and is something you can pass down to a family member someday.

9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

10. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

I have a model 60 from around 1978 and it is very accurate and shoots any ammo I feed it.. About 2 years ago a friend bought a new Remlin model 60 and it jams quite often.