Marlin Forums banner
1 - 4 of 27 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Hello,

I am planning on getting started in reloading very soon. I have been wanting to do that for a few years now, but whenever I had thought that I had enough money to get one piece, then something happened and I had to use the money for that. Then my dad who is retired promised to by me a reloading kit for Christmas the one year so we both could get started together. We would learn together, a father & son thing to do, now that he has trouble walking and does not hunt very much any more. But again something came up and he could not get it for me, then he said for my Birthday, but again something came up. But now I have some gift cards that I can use to offset the cost of the equipment. I have been thinking either of the 2 Lee single stage kits or a RCBS single stage Press kit. With either of those 3 anyone getting into reloading will have almost everything needed to get started except dies, powder, brass, lead, and primers. There may be just a few odds and ends that you may have to get depending on which kit one goes with. But generally you have most of what you need to get started.

What I suggest for those wanting to get started like myself, is to go with one of the singe stage press kits either by Lee or RCBS, or if you can afford it one of the other brands. Then get the other odds and ends that you need to get started and that do not come in the kits. Read a reloading manual and then have fun and be safe!! Remember to keep meticulous notes of all of your reloading data so you do not forget it!!

· Registered
40 Posts
Hello everyone,

For all the newbies thinking about reloading, I thank all of you for the advice.

My dad who is 82 years young, has a drill press and we could definitely make a few loading blocks out of wood. May need a couple new drill-bits to get the proper size for the cases to fit in the holes so they do not wobble too much. But right now with my nephew, his wife and 2 kids living in our basement temporarily, we cannot get to the work bench with the drill press on it! lol Most of their stuff is piled up in our basement.

I will probably get the reloading equipment within a month or 2 and then build a bench for it. I probably will not get started reloading until early spring or summer because of going for weight loss surgery and my back which will then need surgery also. So I will have plenty of time for reading reloading manuals.

· Registered
40 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the advice. What I was thinking of doing for the loading blocks after seeing the home-made ones mentioned above, was make a few of them for the different calibers/cartridges I ant to reload. I was not going to worry about how many holes were in each one. I was going to use either a 2x6 or a 2x4, cut it to a length of about 6 or 8 inches maybe even a little as 4 inches. Then drill the holes. I was thinking of between 10 holes and 20 holes. 10 holes gives me a halve box and 20 a full box. Then after making the blocks I was either going to paint them or shellac them to give them a nice color or bring out the wood grain.

I like the idea of having a 5 hole loading block for a test load.

Also what I was thinking of was having some way of labeling the loading blocks for the calibers/cartridges that they accept. Either by painting them each a different color, painting the caliber/Cartridge on them or using something like a Dremel tool to engrave the caliber/cartridge on them and then painting the engraved area a different color than the loading block. but that will have to wait until dad and I can get to his work bench with the drill press on it. lol :)

· Registered
40 Posts
Hello everyone,

Gee, I did not intend to start an arms race in loading blocks! :D I was just mentioning what someone COULD do or what I was thinking about doing! lol :D Just mentioning some ideas that had popped up into my empty head! lmao But if and when I do decide to go the fancy route I will definitely post pictures for everyone to see! :)

1 - 4 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.