Newer Guns Really That Bad?

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by 28Shooter, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Johnniegoldfish

Johnniegoldfish New Member

just picked up a new MR serial#, 336-30-30 big loop, action is solid, shoots where I point it, craftsmanship is solid: maybe not as tight as some guns, but very reasonable with no blaring flaws for a price that gets me in the woods, I read everything I could find or watch, I had good gun people look it over. For $550 I am satisfied.

2. JDCoolCeltic

JDCoolCeltic Member

Hello Johnniegoldfish and welcome Marlin Forum.

I am glad to hear that you are happy with your new 336bl. But it begs me to ask where you are located. $550 seems a bit steep unless you got a stainless steel model.
    I am in upstate ny where walmart has been selling the 336W for $398 for quite some time. They recently did a rollback to $345. My wife works there so I get a 10% discount bringing it to $310. With tax, I paid $332 out the door. Plus Marlin is doing a $50 mail-in rebate. This will bring it to $282.

Take that thing to the range and shoot it. Enjoy it.

3. 3Crows

3Crows Member

New here and realize the OP was rather old but rather than starting another thread, here my 45-70 SBL now a little over a year old. Round count 180, mostly 405 grain HSM Cowboy and a few BB 430 grain bear busters, enough to sight in. Game score, two hogs in Texas, one buck in my back yard (legal and tagged). It also accompanied me for a solo multi-day hike in Alaska as protection which was the original need and the reason for the BB ammo. For the Alaska trip I carried with the scope removed. The Warn QR rings do in fact return to zero.

[​IMG]

The above rifle is perfect, it shoots perfect, it cycles perfect, it looks perfect and it is a fine weapon and a keeper and I would not trade it for another pre or post. I am about to purchase a new (as in new) 336SS if I can talk my wife into it. I see it sitting on the shelf and in need of some love.

For the folks that get this steady "Remlin" and often self serving mantra and Remington hate speech, do not be afraid, the new guns are fine, just inspect them carefully as you would any gun, new or used, of any type in any era before purchasing and taking it home. If you do not like one then wait for another, sooner or later one will speak to you.

3T

FordTruck, MattNH and msharley like this.
  4. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Excellent points. I usually buy used but did buy a new S&W 66-8. I'm actually thinking of a new 1895SBL or a 336SS or 336XLR. Thanks 3Crows

5. GDCpony

GDCpony Member

This is what my barrel looked like after 14rounds. Sending back for warranty now.
    [​IMG]

6. 3Crows

3Crows Member

I just bought a Savage Scout. Got the price down below $600 with price matching and a store credit and then a purchase gift at Cabelas. Anyways, I went through the three rifles they had before I picked one. One was MUCH nicer than the other two. I have learned to take purchases of guns, each as an individual, and avoid blanket labels. Marlin Droop, Marlin Jam, Marlin crooked sights and a host of other defects long predated Remington though Remington seems to have a particular talent for it I admit.

DO NOT BUY a weapon sight unseen, new or used. Period. Not unless somebody you trust with an opinion (not meaning honesty but a good eye and experience). Look it over closely. Decide if you can make friends with it. Nothing made by man is without it's peculiarities and apparently even God did not do so well on the human race. Because once you go home with it, it is yours to deal with. Much easier to walk away in the store/show to look again another day until you are satisfied.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  7. SheriffJoe

SheriffJoe Member

Been lucky on my new ones...one of them has smoother cycling than one of the JMs I have. Was all about getting JMs a while back. JM Cowboys have much better looking furniture. Will buy JMs if I run across them. Very pleased with latest Rem versions and feel they are just as good.

8. GDCpony

GDCpony Member

Update:
    The automated system had no record of my rifle. The operator says "no new notes yet." You would think they would have at least looked at it by now. The guy was short and pretty much a "Deal with it" attitude no effort or let me check on this. I assume this is normal customer service there. I judge cust serv as high as product reputation too.

Well, last Remington, Marlin, ect I will own. I will only keep it once it comes back because I already have it. I was shopping for a semi-auto shotgun too. SA-20 it is. The 11-87 can sit and rust.

9. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Active Member

I had an 1894 Remlin in 357. It was a great gun. Shot well and fit and finish more than satisfied me. I had to sell it. Now I am getting ready to see if the new 1895GBL that I just purchased will be as good. Can't wait to get it.

10. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Active Member

The GBL1895 was an excellent rifle but I did get rid of it already. Traded it in for a new Winchester 1892 44 Mag. What a great rifle, Love it. Then I bought a Marlin 1894 CSBL in 357 Mag. Great rifle and really well built. Shoots lights out of box. Great rifle great shooter.