Non-ramped Front Sight Pusher

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Mauserhooked, May 8, 2015.

1. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

Greetings, all! I've been looking for a front sight tool to remove/install front sights on some old Winchester 1906 .22 rifles. The front sights on these install in a dovetail cut into the barrel - no ramp. All I've been able to find are those that only work with rifles that have a front sight ramp. There has to be an alternative to the old hammer and punch routine. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

I've only ever done the brass punch method. Are you concerned about the ramp style pusher being designed for the flat sides of the ramp and using on the round barel? If so, can you put small pieces of leather cut from an old belt between he pusher and the barrel? This would sort of mold around the barrel and offer some protection.

3. Mauserhooked

Thanks for the reply MattNH. I've only recently gotten into rust bluing and am looking for something that will work without worrying about dinging up the front sights. I know there must be something else out there than using a hammer and punch. Thanks again.

4. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

I have a 1/4" square x 6-7" long piece of brass that I use to tap out stuff from dovetails. I have left brass marks on sights, but it has always cleaned off. I've never done any damage to front or rear sights tapping them out. I did curl up the side of a dovetail slot blank, but it turns out it was aluminium and not steel.

5. Mauserhooked

Thanks, MattNH and Hombre243.