Ok, I got jealous and ordered a Lyman unit.

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by hombre243, Apr 2, 2013.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

LYMAN

Scales & Measures

GEN 5 Digital Powder System

New digital technology
    Accurate to one tenth grain, the GEN5 dispenses all types of smokeless powder at two grains per second. In addition, it features an auto repeat function that drops a precise charge each time the pan is reset.
    Based on totally new digital technology that overcomes problems commonly experienced by older designs, the system is packed with additional state of the art improvements like fast, 3 minute warmup, new anti-static and anti-drift technology and has sophisticated electronic shielding to resist interference from other electronic devices like cell phones, etc. The top of the line GEN5 adds the benefit of an extra large, easy-to-read LCD screen and touch screen controls. Plus, the quick drain powder reservoir speeds powder changes and the onboard memory stores up to 100 loads.
    • New Touch-Screen Controls
    • Stores up to 100 Loads in Memory
    • Extra Large, Easy-to-read LCD Display
    • New Fast, 3 Minute Warm-up
    • Auto Repeat Function Automatically Dispenses Charges by Resetting Pan
    • Quick-Drain to Change Powders
    • New Electronic Interference Shield Resists Interference from Cell Phones, etc
    • New Anti-Static/Anti-Drift Technology
    • Fast Operation - Dispenses 2 Grains per Second
    • Accurate to 1/10 grain
    • Handles all types of Smokeless Powders
    WEIGHT: 5 lb

[​IMG]

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I know you will love it hombre..:D My Lyman unit has the same functions. It really speeds up loading. Good Purchase !!

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Sweet,I still do mine by hand.

4. hombre243

Hoping for a bit faster load time

I just need to speed up loading time sometimes. I like the uniformity it offers. And I am a sucker for new toys.

5. hombre243

I think I will like it. I tried to post a much more positive response 3 times but lost it every time..:mad:. Internet keeps going out.

I needed something to assure me my loads are safe as I shoot heavy loads. If I hunt with it...it is heavy. maybe not max charges, but a slight overcharge with near max loads can spell a catsass trophy. This will keep me from hurrying because it does the hurrying for me.

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new toy. Looks like a super fine outfit.
    Now all you have to do is try to wear it out. hehe.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  7. hombre243

Intend to do that

Thanks,
    Even if I have to shoot everything I have loaded up so far, I will give this new plaything a good workout...promise. I wanted to get one a few months back but just didn't want to spend the money. Natchez SS has a Smart Reloader Unit similar to this one for about a hundred buckeroos less. But, I got this through Amazon. They may be a tad high but free shipping and the fact that they are usually not out of stock are fine points for me. When I want something I order it from the fastest source and Amazon usually gets it out the door before I have a chance to change my mind.;)

8. hombre243

Now I am all anxious

Ordered it yesterday; it shipped today and SHOULD get here Monday-Wednesday. Now all I need is something to load. I have 50 new 3030 brass and 50 new 45ACP brass. I can do them...but I also have 100 9mm's but no bullets. Sure wish I could find a few...

9. hombre243

This is one Cool Tool

I gave it a preliminary run to make sure it works and to familiarize myself with A-Z operations. It is easy to use and the instructions are pretty good except the print could be a bit bigger.

I ran a few test loads through it and all but one load was exact. The one variant was the second load which was .1 gr high. After that the weights settled down and all loads were x.0. I only tried one powder...Unique, as that is the powder I will be using next. I had to go through the cleaning procedure too and that gave me fits because I had to partially disassemble the feed tube and powder chamber. I had to use some extra effort to open or remove the tight fitting plastic parts that needed to be cleaned but eventually I gotter done and all back together.

I question the power supply. When the trickler slows and stops and starts again, the panel light dims and brightens every time there is a fluctuation in the speed. However, I am going to check it plugged into a cord or into the wall socket. I had it plugged into a surge suppressor and that may have been the problem.

Other than that one issue, this is a great addition to my bench. Hopefully I can try it tomorrow. I will let you know how it works in real time.

When measuring the powder into the pan the speed the trickler runs at is medium and steady until it gets within about 2 gr...then it slows down just like a gas pump. 35 grains takes about 10-15 seconds estimated. I will pay attention next time.

The auto repeat function is perfect and will be the main factor in reducing powder weighing/charging time. Just set it up to repeat and after you dump the powder into the case, set the powder pan back onto the scale and it will cycle another perfect powder charge and it will be ready when you return to the scale. My procedure is to charge the case and seat the bullet. After all bullets are seated I crimp in a separate process. From scale to case, seat bullet and set aside. No double charges.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  10. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

Hombre we like pictures lets see pictures of yours.

This is my This is my LYMAN GEN 5 Digital Powder System

. There are many like it, but this one is mine.. :D

11. hombre243

Ok 44d4

Slightly better shot of the screen. I am not very good with a camera anymore. Sorry.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  12. FOUR4D4

Do you have to let it warm up for a while?? Thank You

13. hombre243

Fast warm up

3 minute warm-up is all but I take longer than that to get ready. I turn it on and then get out what I need and it is ready when I am. This is the most expensive single piece of equipment I have purchased for reloading but I already believe it is the best investment I have made. I like accuracy and this is accurate But I also like relative speed too. I weigh more charges than not during a session. This allows me to weigh and get uniform charges with every cartridge I load. And I only have to pour the powder into the case because it does the weighing and trickling as I seat a bullet and make the next case ready for powder. It beeps when the charge is in the pan, and by the time I hear the beep I am waiting with a case (or almost ready for the powder.) Get a steady cadence going and 50 rounds load pretty fast.

14. FOUR4D4

I was going to buy one then some one said you have to let it warm up for 15 minutes.Thats when i bought the Rcbs Chargmaster combo.From what i remember it had some good reviews on it. Enjoy :D

15. hombre243

Older model DPS was slower

FOUR4D4, the older may have been slower. I must have read that same review. I went to the Lyman website and looked it over and then saw the model they sell now is this one. Amazon also has the older model so that could be where I read the review.

Anyway, it is fast...3 minutes and when you hit the start button, it actually counts you down. It intermittently flashes "WARMUP" and then starting at 3 minutes, the remaining time for the warm-up period. You can override the countdown but I can be patient for 3 minutes. All in all...I am really satisfied. It was a tough decision between the RCBS and this one. I saw the "Smart Reloader" brand/model at Natchez for $165 but thought I would go with the brand I know.

16. SWO1

I have the LYMAN Gen 3. Warm up time is 30 Minutes. It also does the countdown and says you can interrupt it but then they don't quanentee the caliberation. I just turn it on, go make some coffee, set up the parts and pieces and then its ready. Just getting ready to crank out another 100 .38s.

Attached Files:

17. hombre243

Gen3

Niiiice... I remember you said you had one and I figured it was a little older model. Looks wise the are quite a lot alike. I am glad I got mine. Best investment I have made so far. I have 50 more new .30-30 cases to load then I am out of cases. I have enough loaded ammo to last awhile but I will get a few more as time passes and build up a supply.

18. SWO1

Looks like except for the warm up time they have the same features. I really like mine, as I know you do yours. I really like the Auto-Repeat function. Set the pan back on and it dispenses the net charge. It's ready by the time you have seated the bullet and loaded up the next piece of brass....sweet. Weighing the charge was half the time of loading.....at least, and the turret press has cut the time by more than half again.

19. hombre243

Turret Press

I am using a single stage here but I have a turret press back in Iowegia. It is a fast loader but the powder measure sucks. I have the Lee 4 hole turret press and the Autodial powder measure sits on top of the expander die. I do not seem to be able to get uniform charges so I have to weigh heavy charges. If I am just loading medium target loads, which isn't often, I use the Lee job all by itself. If I am loading hunting loads or heavy handgun loads I weigh the charges. (I had a problem with some 9's and may have figured out that problem but cant fix it till I get my stuff from up Nawth:).

20. 444Hal

444Hal Well-Known Member

Still using the Lyman DPS II myself. Got thousands of rounds from it, still going strong. If it ever dies, I'll have to look into that one.