Opinion of Henry 357

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by Everclear, May 1, 2013.

1. Everclear

Everclear Member

I have almost given up all hope of finding a Marlin 357. I can't even find a remi. version.
    I might have an opportunity to get a N.I.B. Henry Big Boy H006M 357 for a good price= Appx. $625.00.
    Any opionions on a new Henry? If it is a crappy weapon I'm not going to buy it but if it is a good deal I'm going to go ahead & bite the bullit.

I already have 2 ea. Marlin 30/30 so I really wanted another in 357 but No luck after a year of searching.

2. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Rossi is priced ~ same as the Henry currently @ $639. Marlin's are on GB.com and they're fetching outrageous prices (to me) for the 1894 Levers and even has some Henry's for a Grand! HENRY IS USA-made...maybe a steal at $625 today:)

3. Donn

Donn Active Member

Get it. They're hard to find. At that price it would've come home with me.

4. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

If I were lookin for a .357 lever I`d buy it, you won`t be labeled a trator so go for it..We expect a full report soon

5. Marlindude

Marlindude Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat on getting a Marlin 22mag lever. I'm really getting close to buying a Henry with the octagon barrel. The Marlin and Winchesters are really fetching to much $ !! Good luck on your search.

6. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

Marlindude, I can recommend the Henry 22 mag lever. Love mine!

7. hunter5567

hunter5567 Well-Known Member

They make a steel frame Henry now also. It's much lighter than the brass frame. I have one in 44 mag. They also make a Henry Brass frame carbine with 16" barrel and I have one of those also.
    I think it's a smoother action than 1894 and is basically a scaled down 336 action. Both of mine are very accurate rifles.
    The brass is a brass alloy with the same tensile strength of steel.
    Of course all brass is an alloy but the Henry is a proprietary firearm grade alloy and not a Pier 1 ashtray grade alloy.

8. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Get the 357 and you can also shoot 38 spcl from the same gun.

9. ditto1958

ditto1958 Member

I don't have a .357, but I do have an H009 .30-30 and an H001 .22 from Henry. Both are excellent rifles, with impressive fit and finish. I have also had outstanding experiences with Henry customer service. Nothing went wrong with either of my Henry rifles, but I called them a couple of times to try to buy parts that I damaged. Both times they would not take my money, but sent me new parts at no charge.

One thing to keep in mind about pistol caliber lever guns, though, is that they often do not cycle the non-magnum cartridges as smoothly as you would like. But... if you reload, you can load your own .357's and shoot all day.

10. billt

billt Member

Are the Henry centerfires blued? Or do they have that "painted" finish like the cheaper rimfires?

11. ditto1958

ditto1958 Member

They have either solid brass or solid steel receivers, depending on which model you choose. The steel ones are blued, and the receivers have a matte, or possibly bead blasted, finish.

Definitely not painted.

12. hunter5567

hunter5567 Well-Known Member

Matte blue finish and all steel. The 22 rifles have an alloy receiver cover.