Marlin Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I would like some feedback from anyone who owns one of these guns. Mainly, how accurate are they? Can they be accurate enough to honestly compete in long range competition? (300-500 yards?)

I really want a 45/70 and this is about all I can afford.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Don't own one, but have shot them (not an H&R) and seen them at comps. Hyphanated also posted on attending a meet lately. He can also state what was prevalent at that meet.

300-500 yds isn't long range for this type of gun. 600 to 1000 is more common place. Most common are the Sharps and Winchester types. Black Powder Rules this class. Slow, big bullets (cast lead) No Jacketed.

Looking at the H&R the barrel is of sufficient length (32"). The breakOpen action I would have some doubts about. Also the sights are all wrong for a target application. You want a tang such as the Creedmore. Also the H&R barrel is of medium weight, might want to go a little heavier.

Now not saying you wont have fun with it. Competiave.....at what level...that's the question. H&Rs are priced at what us average guys can easily afford. I would say if you can get it to shoot 6" groups at 600 yds. with your handloads/black powder/cast bullets you have something to work with.

Here is a link to see what a mid-range Sharps type will run you. Not the best in the world and not the worst either.

http://www.cherrys.com/ped_cart.htm

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sharps out of my price range

Don't own one, but have shot them (not an H&R) and seen them at comps. Hyphanated also posted on attending a meet lately. He can also state what was prevalent at that meet.

300-500 yds isn't long range for this type of gun. 600 to 1000 is more common place. Most common are the Sharps and Winchester types. Black Powder Rules this class. Slow, big bullets (cast lead) No Jacketed....[end quote]

I know the Sharps are the top shelf. I am an off the rack kinda guy. So the H&R it has to be. I am betting the Buffalo Classic shoots much better than I can hold, so going to the high end of the spectrum before I know what kind of accuracy I am good for doesn't make a lot of sense. I appreciate the link. I now know where to look when/if I get into the sport.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping to hear from someone who has shot this particular gun. I saw some YouTube videos and they show a little but nothing beats hands on...if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
You got the U-tube right Hombre. Don't know who is shooting or how they are comparted to you. also one rifle compared to another is totally different. Get one and see for yourself is the way to go. Good Luck Buddy !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts