Paracord Continued....finis

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by hombre243, Jan 2, 2014.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

lingr. I got the stuff in the mail 2 days ago and learned how to do this today.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szkD838okTU[/ame]

This is the specific link on youtube that I watched and learned from. I have some screen shots I snipped too so I could look at stop action pics for a better idea what the knot should look like.

Have fun...

Oh, if you make a sling, it will probably be non adjustable so make it longer than the between the posts distance. My posts are 24" apart. I made the sling 28" and it is tight. 2-3 more inches would help...dangit, no matter how I say it it still comes out wrong.:confused:

Some words of advice: Don't do as I did...These instruction videos automatically assume you know some things about paracord crafting. The ones I have watched always say something like..."You should already know how to...". Like a Cobra Knot or what they call an overhand knot, which it aint. You should read some written instructions that have pictures. Also stop and back up the videos and hear what is being described and then look at the freeze screen shots. THEN, as in the Triple Cobra Weave Sling video when the narrator says...I am making this sling 42" long...think about what it is he is measuring for. Since most sling studs are (on my long guns) 24" apart why does he need a 42" sling? Fat boys like me need the extra length. Winter clothes need extra length.

An easy way to figure out your length is measure your mounted (On the Gun) adjustable sling and make the non adjustable one to that length...the length you will use it most at.

Just remember, this is going to be a stiff sling. Picture the wide shoulder piece on your regular sling, if your sling has one and that's how stiff and wide this is...Close to 2" wide and 3/8" thick. You won't be able to wrap yourself into it like a nice leather strap sling. These slings are doing second duty here. Most sites call them Prepper Projects...stuff to grab if you have to bug out. You will need a couple hundred feet of paracord to make the sling i posted. I had to tear the whole thing apart because I only gave it 4" of slack. Now I know why the sling in the video is 42" and not 28". If the sling is going to be usable it has to be long enough TO BE used.Know what I mean?

Now I have several shorter pieces, which unless I do some fancy splicing, are only good for chopping down farther and making bracelets and necklaces out of them. It always helps to read the instructions but even the instructions sometimes leave out pertinent information.

Now, go have fun.[​IMG]

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

I need one or more of them:)

3. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I joined the paracord forum a couple months ago, bought some parachord, buckles, and stuff at work (home depot has a good selection of parachord stuff) and now can't find time to work on it. That's a neat looking job hombre!!

4. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

We started doing paracord for my sons scouting troop. To show them a practical use. Since then my wife started making a few different style bracelets. I make most of the items, with a bit of help from my son. We try going to local craft shows. He/we do pretty good sometimes. He gets board till he sees his cut of the money. LOL. We order from WWW.fullbellyinsurance.com . Nice prices and tons if color, as well as buckles etc.....
    On YouTube there's a site called..... Mr Coop 1964 , he does a great tutorial. Making a jig makes it so much easier.

5. Gumpy

Thanks for the info, dads! I have to spend the night ln the hospital tonight for a sleep study and I'll read up on it while the nurse is hooking up the electrodes! I hate doing these tests.

6. dads81-DL

Hope she's a cute nurse. :D

7. hombre243

Sleep test

Hey Gump, I did my sleep test last month.I get my machine Monday. Hope the snow stops and the temps climb a bit.

I am tired of driving in the snow.

Good luck. Hope the test goes well. Just mumble some weird stuff while they think you're asleep and see what they do. :D

8. Gumpy

Its a dude!! They won't let me spend the night with a female. LOL. Hombre, tonights test is to verify if I have apnea, I have another session Monday night to adjust the machine, I pick up my machine Monday PM.

9. dads81-DL

10. Gumpy

At least I should start feeling better!

11. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member

Well, are ya sleeping better?

12. hombre243

Sleep Apnea

Hi guy,
    No, no better, no worse. Well, not much worse. I do not like the nose mask...my nose looks like Phil Harris's nose. Bright red and almost looks like a nose shaped hicky. But i gotta do the mask if I want to keep the CDL. Other concern is my diabetes. It is not being controlled with meds or exercise. May lose it anyway. So much for diligence. Sometimes it is worth the extra effort and sometimes it just says...screw ya dude. Right?

13. hombre243

Paracord schmeracord...

: ) I got the stuff, made a sling. I then tore the sling all apart and put the stuff in a bag. I see no good reason to keep the stuff. Send me your address again ol bud.