Pistol Range Construction Has Began !!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SWO1, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Yessiree, I think that's a great start to what I'm sure will get plenty of regular use! Don't know how wet you are down south, but looks like the gentle soaking rains here would hold you up for a couple of days if same at your place. What are you going to plant in the area leading down to the butts? That's the one 'nasty' problem we have with the range at the eldest daughter's house. Rains make it a boot changing & cleaning affair after rains. Clay soil and not much grass want to take hold in the clay.

Best wishes on completion efforts.

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

In the picture where we cleared goin up the hill, at the top left is two cedar trees. Right behind them is a spring that keeps a small pond wet all year, even in draught. It dosn't run enough to overflow but probley is seeping down and what keeps this area wet....well moist anyways.

Me, the brother-in-law, and his cousin talked about that yesterday. Thinkin will start with a base layer of 2" rock (limestone). Once that gets worked in good top it with 3"s of 1" . River rock is about half the price of clean, white limestone but dosn't like to stay in place. For that short of distance a Tri-axle dump should do the job...about $130 delivered.

3. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Clay + enough gravel eventually worked in = almost pavement :D At least around here.

Peaked for rain to run off and it should build up to be good !!!

4. SWO1

You're right about turning to pavement 1894. When I first put in my barn, got my pickup stuck on the road in front...down to the frame. Over a two year period dumped a bunch of loads of 4" on it, then 2" and now just top with 1" every 3 years or so with river rock. That road will hold a TANK.....:p

5. SWO1

Have had two days of sun and wind. Hope the ground is dry enough to put on the Box Blade an start to level the area where the Range House will go...Today. Will give it a try anyway.

Plan on sinking treated 4X4s every 4 ft. and framing with treated 2X6. Floor joists will be 2x6 on 16" centers. Deck will be VanTek 3/4". Will Frame and roof the house first and then add the shooting pourch on front.

6. SWO1

Just checked the site....still to wet. Matter of fact have standing water right where the building will go. I knew that clay would hold water like a pond. More rain comming in this afternoon, depending on temp later could be up to 2" of snow. With another round Friday into Sat morning. Sooooooo in a construction deplay for now. But we need the rain. All things for the best.

7. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

When are we going to get more than two days in a row without rain????

8. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

Will you also have a sports shop that sells supplies ammo,targets ect. Just Kidding. :D

9. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I wouldn't be. Make some change with those targets,they aren't free!

10. SWO1

I do intend on running a "For Fun" Bulleyes league. Mostly for the family, inlaws and some friends/neighbors who have expressed intrest. There will be a Nominal Charge to join and a weekly match fee. Just to pay for targets. We will keep score and progress and award Ratings, Marksman to Master. Maybe a bi-monthly club match to start or if enough participation, monthly.

11. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Gosh...gotta watch of the Feds will be pushing the State to Inspect your facilites and charge you for some kind of foolish "business" license. Big brother nose has grown bigger that Carl Mauldin's ;)

12. SWO1

Checked the ground again this morning, still have standing water. So I have made a Command Decision. Construction will begin on the Shooting House on slightly unlevel ground. I have about 3-4" for fall in the 12' length. Width is level. I will level the foundation to be highter on the North end....No problem. More rain forcasted for tomorrow and another winter storm next week. If I wait for dry weather may be summer till I can make any progress.

This morning I sank the Corner Stone ( 4x4 post). It is 2' deep and squared it with the back hole and a short piece of 4x4. From this post I will pull all measurements and proceed starting next week. I have figured up my bill of materials and will procure next week. I dug the three holes by hand with a post-hole digger. The other 12 I will put the auger on the tractor. I didnt hit any rock so after I have it layed out will go quick. Barring any unforseen delays the deck for the range house should be framed in and on by next weekend.

13. SWO1

Finally the weather has allowed range construction to continue. BUT ITS MUDDY...

Sank two more corner posts. Now just have to pull the tape from two corners and it will be SQUARE. For now am framing the foundation with pine 2x6. After its square will go back and frame in with Treated 2x6 for the rim josts and floor stringers. Will top the deck with Evantech. It's tounge and groove so isn't a full 4' wide. Total length will end up being 11'10 1/2 " . Depth will be 8'. Pictures to come after its framed and then decked.

14. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

The shooting shack should be an outhouse,you can kill two turds with one stone

15. SWO1

With the temps, sun, and wind last two days it was pretty dry at the range construction site. I put the box blade on the tractor and pulled quite a bit of dirt. Hve it piled up off to the side and will increase the rifle backstop with it. Now its good and dry to finish laying out the foundation 4x4s tomorrow and squaring it up. Will be in the 70s next two days before more rain moves in.

16. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it will work but

Is there any possibility that a French Drain will help drain off your too-wet area?

17. SWO1

All the standing water and mud is caused by removing the top soil and down to clay. I wanted to level the area but still have a little slope to it. Once I get the gravel spread from shooting line to the target butts it will be Ok. The native grass will grow back quickly around the area and all will be OK....In time....:)

This project, as with all construction ya have to put up with the weather until the foundation work is done.

18. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I see SWO1s turkey shoot and pistol match Jamboree in the near future..Always wanted to visit Missouri again.

19. SWO1

Turkey shoot is a good idea also.....:)...COME ON DOWN !!!!!!!!!!!

20. SWO1

I got the 8x12 corner posts squared up today. It was kickin my butt. The diagonals pulled correct but the back run was 1.5" to long. Couldnt figure out why. My brother-in law happened to come by to borrow a router bit. Took him 2 minutes to find the problem. One corner post wasnt plumb North to south. I thought I had checked them all numerous times....apparently NOT.

Also cut the two small trees between the rifle and pistol backstops. Filled in the backstops so now there is just one long one. The Sleet/Snow/Rain has packed the dirt mound down a good 2'. I was reminded today I had made a commitment for a Habitat for Humanity project tomorrow. Dont know if I will get to do more range work or not before the rain comes back in sometime Sunday........:(