Pistol Range Construction Has Began !!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SWO1, Feb 5, 2013.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Didn't think the weather would ever clear up....but it has. Got back to work on the pistol range yesterday. Got the rim joists for the range house up, along with the floor joists. Sank 4X4 support posts every 4' under the foundation. Laid the floor sheathing. Now will start the framing of the 12' x 8' house. Once that is complete will attach the shooting porch in front. Pics of progress so far.

In checking on lumber....PRICES HAVE WENT UP DOUBLE IN THE LAST YEAR...:eek: Have to pay almost $2.50 for a 2X4 stud that was $1.19 last year. And that's with my 10% military discount at Lowes.

Attached Files:

2. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Lookin' fine!

3. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Dang! You might be right handy to have around:D That base frame looks solid and you didn't cheat with hanger brackets:) One of these days, I might just get a chance for a personal gander at all this work you're putting in for "family needs"! I reckon all the exposed wood is treated lumber?

Lumber..."Gall Doggy", stuff in retail lumber yards and such seems of much lower quality with the quik-growth trees and the price increases (fuel costs for drayage affecting everything). It's getting burdensome for construction businesses and property owners that want to build, remodel or repair. I picked up 4 pcs of 2 1/8" thick X 9 - 10" wide X 10' long Walnut planks for a little less than $54 dollars total Tuesday at a local mill. Weather cured...good stuff. That's about the price of dimensional pc of finished 1"X6" 8 footer. Got any mills in your neck of the hills? Good hardwood for the price of cheap pine. I was figuring a whole lot more than$54!!!

4. SWO1

Ya did fine on the Walnut spoon. I paid almost that much for half the BF of treated 2X6 pine....:mad: for the rim joists. The untreated 2X6 for the floor joists I had. And don't need no stinkin hangers. I got boxes of REAL 16 nails, not those 12s they sell for 16s now-days. My grandfather who was a master carpenter taught me how to nail stuff together. Believe it or not I also know how to cut a straight line with a hand saw.....:cool: What I build may not be the purdiest...but its hell for sturdy.

Most all the mills around here are run by Minonites. They sell mostly Oak and Ceader. Ever build with green Oak...? Just drive around this country and see all the old barns leaning about 45 deg. Been doing that for goin on 50-75 years now. You cant pull a nail out of seasoned oak or drive one in it...LOL. We once tried to tare down an old chicken house for two weeks...ended up dragging it off with a tractor to the burn pile.

5. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Thats lookin nice..your quite the handy man

6. SWO1

Laid out the jig for the roof truss on the end of the deck. Will build simple King post style with 2X4s. They can span 16' so with an 8' wide building I'm good to go. Will build 10...on 16" centers. What it cost to have 3 built I can build 10. And they will will have 3/8" plywood gussets screwed instead of those rinkey dink mesh metal thingys. The roof will be a 5:12 pitch...well almost. Will cut the angles @21 deg (a fixed setting on the miter saw) a true 5:12 is just a little steeper but it don't matter. For inquiring minds a pic of a King Post truss:

These will be the internal trusses, the end truss will have a couple more uprights for nailers only for the sheathing.

Attached Files:

7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Look'n might fine.....................

8. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Agreed. I can't wait to see it completed.

9. SWO1

Built one truss this morning using the jig I set up on the end of the deck. Made a few adjustments, cut one out, assembled it, recorded the measurements for mass assembly. Overcast and 74, startin to thunder again with more severe storms tonight and tomorrow forcasted.

To clarify measurements for a 5:12 pitch roof. I gave rough estaments, here is the "actual" facts.....:p

Angle cuts are at 22.64 deg.
    Set stops on miter saws are at 22.5 deg.

.14 is critical for reloading, but for roof pitches....aint squat. Saves laying them out with a rafter square. Bob Villa might cringue, but if he don't like it he can come and build it for me. Every 5:12 roof I've ever built is cut on 22.5 and never has fallen down. I dare anyone to look at it and tell its off .14 deg.........:rolleyes:

Also in checking Load and Span tables I have deceided to put the trusses on 24" centers. Using 3/8" roof sheathing I am WAY within load limits for a 8'X12' shed. Saves lumber for two trusses.

10. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

The 5:12 won't act like an airfoil and carry off (if it can be torn loose from the RR spikes you assembled it with) ;) like one with less pitch! A few more linear feet of 2Xs, but might give some overhead storage for cardboard, targets, tape and a good staple gun.

1st-Class facility coming soon :)

11. Shooter

So how many more man hours do you have to put into till your finished?

12. SWO1

To be realistic...Probley 60-80. That's if I worked on it straight. But I have a lot of other things to do. I am at the point in my life where I don't get in a rush to do my own projects. Its turkey season, fishing is just starting up. The place does require things be done, house maintance, equipment maintance, brush-hogging, garden to be put in and tended. I am involved in Habitat for Humanity, Lions club, VFW. Projects for my daughter, grandkids, wife, Mother/Brother. I go on reloading tangents, shooting, helping others with projects. Besides the weather dictates what can be done at any given time. I have been know to just walk off a project and go off into the woods for a few hours and just walk around....because I can.

I never want to get up in the morning with NOTHING to do.....I have NO rocking chair on the porch.....LOL

13. SWO1

I got 3 walls up today, front, back, and a side wall. Hopefully tomorrow will get the other side wall up and the roof trusses. Have a 42" door opening framed in the front. Will hang a sliding barn door type. In the North side wall will have a 40" 50" double hung vinyl window I picked up (for nothing). It's a little bigger than I would have liked but the price was right. Also in the front I will put a small ( about a 12" x 24" ) double pane crank out window. Will post pics tomorrow when its up, MAYBE. My internet connection has been flakey last couple of days and is iffy on uploading....:confused:

14. SWO1

Got the range house framed in today. Next up is to frame in the shooting porch. Will be 6' deep with 3 separate bays.

Attached Files:

15. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

No overhang with the trusses...so I guess you opted out of soffit and lace look :rolleyes: Looks good from here. Best wishes for some decent weather without rain, rain, rain & more rain so you can put a skin and roof on her.

16. SWO1

No overhang on the building. The shooting porch, which is next, I'm debating on putting one on front of it. Its either that or go with gutter off the front. With a couple days of rain coming up....decisions, decisions.

17. Shooter

That's going to be an awesome place to hang out.

18. SWO1

Gonna start framing in the covered shooting deck today. If the weather holds thru tomorrow will have it framed and decked with 5/4 treated boards. After that its on to roofing. Hopefully Pics on progress tomorrow evening.

19. SWO1

Slight construction delay....:eek: Havoc the dog found a friend to play with at the construction site...A SKUNK !! Odie is gone now but has left his calling card ALL OVER poor Havoc. And of course he wants to hang at my feet (wants sympathy) which in this heat is not very comfortable. He will just have to wait till the grandkids get home from school to get his tomato juice bath. In the meantime I have to keep him in the barn, in the shade with food and water.....away from me. Hope that's all the excitement for the day....back to work.

20. SWO1

I was able to get the porch framed today inspite of the Chemical Attack...:rolleyes: Have the outside frame done, top and botton. Roof line has a 5 deg. slant, just enough for runoff. Want to leave as much height as possible. Tomorrow if the rain holds off will install the floor and roof stringers and lay the deck. Once the deck is on will have a dry/level platform to shoot from. Pics tomorrow.

Might have to work ARMED tomorrow in case Pepi Lepew shows back up....;)