Pistol Range Construction Has Began !!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SWO1, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Good luck with that!

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Didn't get all done today that I wanted to. My brother wanted to help and I get him involved in all I can. He is 100% disabled with PTSD from Vietnam. We took a lot of Ice Tea Breaks in the Hot sun. But did get the porch deck on and now have three lanes that are solid and dry. Will have to get the roof stringers another day.

The three bays are a little off. My brother ran the tape and marked the two inside posts. One is 41", one is 45" and one is 42". What the heck...:) He goes at warp speed but works hard....Love him to death, and I will never refuse to let him get involved.

Will put in 12" wide trays in each bay with a hard foam rubber surface for gun rests and other gear. Next up is to deck the roof with 1X12 and single it. Pics of todays progress.

Attached Files:

3. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

A couple more days of delays with the crazy weather. Stay warm and dry friend!

4. Shooter

Does your dog still smell? I've found it takes a couple of days.

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

How is the pup?

6. SWO1

Havoc says "thanks" for asking. Four baths with about 4 gallons of tomato juice and some other stuff my daughter got at the medical clinic where she works did the trick. He is back in the house with the boys. Of course he probley smells better than they do anyway....:p

This isn't his first run in with Pole Cats. Once he tangled with em TWICE in one day......He was almost history then. Dumb dog will never learn.

7. SWO1

With todays onset of "Snowy May Weather" I am considering abandoning the Bulleye Pistol range and putting in a Biathlon Course. Being in the Ozarks Instead of Cross Country Sking and Shooting we will use Tractors with Brush Hogs and shoot. You cut your way through the brush, stop and shoot at different stations...........:D And instead of standing/offhand and prone it will be offhand standing on the John Deere and seated (arm rests allowed).

8. SWO1

Time to think about a "Ballistic Barrier" between the shooting stations on the pistol range. After a lot of research a couple of options:

1. Purchase Ballistic Panels....Costly.. Low End around $400 for a .25" Lexan 4x8 sheet rated up to a 9MM. Have to go up to .5" to stop a .44 at twice the cost.

2. Concrete.... 3.5" of 5 bag mixture will stop up to a .44 at point blank range.....Heavy and around $110 to construct a panel 3x7.

3. Hollow core wall constructed with either plywood or chipboard and filled with gravel. Same stopping properties as concrete but with added benefit of self healing as gravel flows in bullet hole cavity. Also I have the gravel.

I built a box with 2x4 and 7/16" chipboard 3.5" thick. Filled it with 1" limestone gravel.

Tested 4 different rounds.

.22 CCI Mini-Mag 40 gr. HollowPoint at 2'......2 rounds ....NO PENATRATION.

.38 Special 130 gr. FMJ at 2'......2 rounds.....NO PENATRATION

.38 +P .140 gr. JHP at 2'.....My Reloads (HOT).......2 rounds....NO PENATRATION

.357 Mag. 158 gr. Rem JSP at 2'.......2 rounds.....NO PENATRATION

All 8 bullets where within a 2" group in the panel. So the self healing theory worked.

This is the way I will go. A 3' x 7' barrier between lanes. I will use tongue and groove .75" pine boards to face a 2x4 panel and fill with 1" gravel. More cost effective than ballistic panels, lighter and cheaper than concrete and in case of a glancing shot will cut down on ricochets by channeling the bullet along the gravel between the outer layer of wood.

9. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

The 45" bay was probably by design! Probably for shooters with Claustrophobic tendencies, or extra wide! lol It's good that you feel that way about your brother. I lucked out and Nixon signed the peace treaty 3 months before I was supposed to start a tour as a 50 cal. machine gunner on a patrol boat. I had already been Thur the training, so now if the job description list 50cal. maintenance and operation I may have a shooting chance at the job! lol, pun intended. Keep close to your brother, there are a lots of war vets out that that are being swept under the rug!!

10. SWO1

Got the 1"x12" roof decking on this morning. Will cover it with 15# felt and put on the drip edge this afternoon. Local lumber yard has enough discontinued singles @$50 a square to do the job. I need 2.17 sg, so will get 2.5. Singles will have to wait until next week as Mothers day tomorrow...another big crowd here. Mon-Tues have a Habitat project and Wendsday I have a trip planned to Sedalia.

11. SWO1

Yesterday I got the felt and dripedge on the porch. Went out at 0630 this morning and was gonna do the building.....But I realized since I don't have an overhang I have to have the sheathing on so the dripedge will go over it. So it was off to Lowes. They happen to have some on SALE. $14.50 A SHEET...With my military discount cost me $13. Got it on but one piece on the front and one end on the south eave. Had to stop to get ready for the Big Mothers day dinner.

12. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Like eat'n an elephant...one bite at time until it's done! Given the weather...you've take more than a few big bites on this project. KUDOs for your craftsmanship:)

13. SWO1

Finished up the siding and felt/dripedge on the range house. Shingles left to put on, trim the corners and windows.....AND PAINT....:(

Planning on having that all done by the end of this week. Then its to the BUTTS and the permanent target frames.

Third Pic shows the old temp ones and how much the burm/backstop has slumped with the many inches of rain we have had. Will take the backhoe and level it out front out to 30'. All that dirt will go on the backstop. Will put in a perment shooting line in at 7 yards for SD shooting. Will use the laser transit and lay out the target frames square to the shooting lanes and exactly 50' from the front edge of the bench.

I have an old TV antenna pole ( about 20') which I will install for a Range Flag. When the Red Flag is flyin "It's Hot"

Attached Files:

14. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Loook'n good. Thanks for the update.

15. SWO1

Downloaded this pic....Will blow it up and print on glossy photo paper. Framed and hanging at the range house........:cool:

Wild Bill Hickock, Bill Blankenship, Ed McGivern, Jerry Miculek
    They were all Deadly, Great shots, but none as lethal as this man. So BAD he was only allowed to carry one Cartridge...In His Pocket...!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  16. Shooter

I'm glad to see it completed! Seems like you've already done some shooting?

17. SWO1

Had to try it from the porch....:D Targets aren't lined up correctly...or correct width/height, that's next.

It's been noted that the range house/porch looks out of whack...Its the lay of the land and my camera work.....:p:eek:. The structure is square and level. Well except for the width of the shooting bays, and I've already explained that...:)

18. SWO1

The shingles are on.....the roof is done. Just in time as it's starting to rain. Let it pour. Now I can leave the tools on site without having to drag them back and forth to the shop.....:D

Next the Big Tonka Toys come back and dirt work starts at the butts. Have 3 different ideas on the foundation for the target frames. Will sleep on it for a few days while I level the ground and grade down to level in front of the berm/backstop out to 30'. All the dirt goes on the backstop.

Just for info....noticed the holes in the backstop where I shot the .308 in the Wizard from 50 yards. Dug back and retrieved the bullets, or what was left of them. They ( 150 gr. Rem. Core-lok SPs ) only penetrated about 14" and broke up. Nothing but shards of copper cladding and pieces of lead. So the 10-12' thick backstop is more than adequate for any round I will put into it. Even if FMJs went 5 times the distance into it still have plenty of stopping backstop.

19. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

You can never be to safe! Very good job, and superb perseverance!!

20. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Looks great - Congratulations!