Pistol Range Construction Has Began !!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SWO1, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Lets see some video!

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

Hang on while I make us some popcorn :D

Im getting a kick out of your pictures, nice work SW!!!

3. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

If you think my stills are out of focus..bad angles...wait till you see the video...:eek: Starting Thursday long stretch of nice weather forcasted but have to take a trip to Nebraska over the weekend for my wifes 45th HS reunion. Next Monday will have the Loader/backhoe and start on the butts. I do have the range flag and pole ready to erect so will get a short clip of it going up and flag rasing.....:cool:

4. SWO1

Got the range flag pole up. Also leveled the dirt in front of the backstop out to 7 yards. Piled the dirt on top. More rain tonight and tomorrow so it will slump and pack. Will do some more leveling out to 30' and pile more on top later. Also picked up a set of rollers for the range house door while in Nebraska. Found them for over 50% less then they were here...$45 vice $104. Will build and install the sliding house door tomorrow, Wendsday. Also finish the trim on the building corners and around the windows. Gonna have to build a set of temporary target frames (set of 3) that can be moved in and out as I have to have access to the front of the backstop to get the dirt on top. Can't stop shooting till its done......:p Pics tomorrow as I used up my battries this weekend.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

[​IMG]

Just read this whole thread...awesome job SW01 !!

6. SWO1

Did some more dirt work today. Leveled out to about 35' from the backstop. Laid out the position for the target frames. The stakes in the Pic are 52' from the front edge of the bench. Still have a slight hump in the middle. Permanent frames will go 2' in front of the stakes. Second pic is of the range flag. Sorry no Video. Maybe I can get some of the first Bullseye Match when I get the Mechanical Targets in....:eek:

Wanted to get the sliding door up today but a minor problem. The rollers I picked up in Nebraska are a Hair bigger than the rail I have. Will have to exchange them next week when I make a trip to Sedalia for more reloading supplies.

Attached Files:

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

8. SWO1

Got the temporary Target Frames up. Squared away with the Shooting Bays, 51.5' away. The extra 1.5' will be good practice for the Official 50' distance with the Permenant Frames.

Backed with .5" Styrafoam board 2X4' and Bullseye will be centered at a height of 60"...my plane with a pistol at the line. Had to level them to something and I was the only one here.....:rolleyes: They are stationary so matches will have to be ran with verbal commands for now. I have decided to run the 600 match in two different phases. One 300 from the 7 yard line and one from the 50' covered benches. The "short" course is more to make ME look good and will give new shooters more confidence..AND MAKE ME LOOK GOOD....;) As we progress will probley move back to the 10.

Attached Files:

9. SWO1

Well I did get a short video up. It's titled "flag raising" under the video section. My grandson took it of the Range Flag going up for the first time. It's officially OPEN for business.

Also got the rollers and rail up for the sliding door. Will build the door frame today. Darn birds are building nests in the range house already...:mad:

10. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting

Looking good SW01 !

11. SWO1

Got the door frame built and am hanging the metal facing on now. Blamed cordless drills....of course all my battries are low..have to wait for one to recharge. After its faced will build a header and its done.

Then its on to building the mechanical target frames. Have 3 different designs. I can see which ever one I use will have to make some modifications to suit me......This may take a little while.

12. SWO1

The sliding door is done....Picked up a PA system today. Will get it installed with one speaker on the shooting porch and one at the 7 yard line. Got to make sure everyone hears the verbal commands for the matches...Saftey the most important aspect. Hopefully next weekend will try and line up some shooters and have a full match. Will try and get video of that LASH-UP....:p

13. SWO1

PA systems is up and running. Target Frames are up (temporary/stationary). 7 yard line is marked. 50' line is covered with benches. Range House is erected with windows and sliding door. Range Flag Pole is up. We're ready for matches, General shooting. I'll be piddling rest of the year, erecting ballistic barriers between lanes, marking target frames, benches, whatever else I can think up.

Next year will start on the 3 lane 50 yard rifle range. It will be for .22 bench mostly but can be used for what ever. Will also have covered benches with left/right capability for our backards shooters....;). For the rest of this year will shoot-em up on the pistol range and work on the mechanical targets. Still have the 100 yd. bench and can always go across the road and fling em out to 1000 or better.

14. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting

SW01, glad to hear, your making good progress

15. SWO1

Put the Permenent 7 yard line in this morning. 16' long with gravel base. High and Dry in wet conditions. Post is for speaker and will also serve as anchor for pullys for mechanical targets until I can get the electrical system figured out and built. To start the targets will run manually by pully and steel cables from the Range House.

Attached Files:

16. SWO1

Built the first prototype mechanical target frame today. Just have to put on the linkage and mount it. I built it with materials I have on hand and if it works OK will whip up another two and be in full operation. If this one dosnt work out I have two more sets of plans of different designs. They all are a little whimpy for my taste and require a little modification. After I get one to operate as I like it will post a video.

17. SWO1

The first frame worked great. Had a few problems with the second one. Linkage was all wrong. Built the third frame, hooked up the linkage upside down so I could adjust it easier. Now that it all works in unison will flip the linkage back over. Will face the frames and after it cools down this afternoon will run thru the course and try and get some video up.

18. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Dang...you really are doing it up right! Oughta be a sight when you have it to your stds and liking :)

19. SWO1

HOT...DANG, Works just like a real one...:D I have a 1:24 video I tried to upload. After and hour and half it was only 8% complete...???? So I gave up for tonight. Maybe NSA is intercepting it...did think I saw a funny looking little plane circling over today also......:rolleyes:

Will take a shorter one tomorrow and try again. Ya see one target turn you have seen em all. We didn't shoot as it was just to blamed hot and humid. Ticks are crawlin every where, even in the dirt.

I'm not real happy with the way it looks, but it works great on the first try. Probley will build another set and change some things and change it over later. Most of the materials I had and only spent about $30 mostly on pullys and some 3/4" bolts for pivots. If I had to buy everything it would have run around $80 for the 3 frames. The cheapest I found a commercial 2 frame set was $1400.