Post What You Reload For!

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by axxe55, Jan 31, 2012.

1. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

well guys i need to add another to my list! 280 Rem. i loaded up about 40 rounds the other night for the Ruger M77V i bought a few months ago. i might have to try them out this weekend to see how well they work.

2. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Thanks guys it's a terrible addiction. I load a lot of Black Powder in those older calibers.

Greyhawk you have a great list also. I take it you completed the 12 step program if your down to 2 calibers. I just gave a good friend a Lee Hand loader for 35 Rem. It's one of the Marlin lever Guns I wouldn't mind owning.

3. runswiththunder

runswiththunder Member

It looks like I have some catching up to do.
    I currently reload for my 30-30, .380, 9mm, and 40s&w.

4. 97thSignalman

97thSignalman Member

Calibers that I reload

Here is what I currently reload.

1. .38 Special
    2. .357 mag
    3. 9mm luger
    4. 45 ACP
    5. .223
    6. 6.8SPC
    7. .30-30
    8. .45-70
    9. 300 Savage
    10. .308, 7.62x51
    11. .30 Carbine
    12. .30-40 Krag
    13. .303 Brit.
    14. 6.5 Swedish Mauser
    15. 7.62 x 39mm
    16. 7.62 x 54R
    17. 8mm Mauser

5. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

First off, welcome to the forum.
    That is an impressive list of cartridges. Just curious. Which ones do you load the most or which ones get the most use?
    Also wondering what type of firearm do you have for the 6.8SPC and how does it shoot? I'm thinking that would be an excellent round. What are your thoughts about it?
    I also noticed the 6.5 Swed. I owned one of the carbine models many years ago. I should have kept it. I'm a fan of the 6.5 - 7 mm cartridges. They are an idea size for an all purpose game rifle, IMO.

6. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Like greyhawk said, welcome. That's some pretty serious ordinance.

7. 97thSignalman

97thSignalman Member

I load more 9mm, .38 special and .223 than anything else followed by .45 ACP. I will return to loading .30-06 and .308 in volume after I get some shoulder problems taken care of (which will follow knee replacements). I have begun to load more .30-30 as I am developing lead bullet low recoil rounds for recreational shooting. I just won an auction for a 1950 vintage 336 that has ballard rifling. I want that for shooting lead bullets and I am anxioius for it to arrive so I can try it out.

My 6.8 SPC is an 18 inch AR carbine. I reload that because the ammo is really expensive. It is also hard to recover the expensive brass. There is lots of .223 laying on the range and I pick it all up. However, I don't see much 6.8 brass laying around and I seem to loose about half of mine. I have tried several brass catchers but they each have their issues and limitations.

I agree that 6.5 Swede is a great caliber.

8. greyhawk50

Congratulations on the vintage 336. There is little doubt that it will become one of your favorites.
    I feel your pain with the shoulder problems. Some 30+ years ago, I had an industrial incident where I got my right arm caught in a conveyor belt. It was pulled in up to the shoulder. Thank God that the operator turned it off before it took my arm off completely. Never got bad enough to require surgery. For that reason, I don't own anything larger than the 35 Rem. Even a 30-06 has too much recoil for my liking. Flinching has negative effects on accuracy. Recoil is not my friend.
    I've enjoyed pistol shooting over the years but with failing eye sight, I've leaned more towards shotguns and long guns with optics.
    I noticed that you have a taste for Mil-Surp. That's great. They are great fun. Again, I've shied away from them because of the iron sights and the weight. I have Epstein Barr that causes joint and muscle pain which takes the fun out of shooting heavy guns.
    I've bought, sold & traded guns for over 40 years. Over 300 guns have passed through my possession. I enjoy a good trade almost as much as a day at the range. Over the years, I've settled on Marlin Lever Guns, Semi-Auto 12 ga. or the softer hitting 20 ga. I mostly shoot Rim-Fires because of the cost, no recoil and less noise. I really enjoy Muzzle Loaders because I can load them to my liking.
    I see that you are a fellow Ohioian. Glad to have you with us.

Grey

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  9. marnewick

marnewick Member

Hi guys I am new here. I am from South Africa and Ave just baught a 1895 Marlin 45/70. I want it to hunt some of the bigger antelope like Eland and Wildebeest. Any suggestions on some good handload recipies. I would also like to have your ideas on a good scope to compliment this rifle and calibre. Thank you

10. marnewick

marnewick Member

I reload 338win, 30-30, 300win,308,303 brittish,30-06 Springfield l, 375 H&H

11. marnewick

marnewick Member

I load a lot of Nosler bullets, they seem to work well in Africa. With local Somchem powder. You guys are lucky with how easy you buy and trade guns, we have major hassles here an up to a few months ago it could take up to two years to lisence a firearm here.

12. greyhawk50

Welcome to the forum marnewick.
    Sorry to hear about your gun laws. The anti-gunners are constantly nipping at out heals. Pesky rascals that they are.
    I believe that you're the first to join from South Africa. There was a PH from South Africa on another forum that I visit and I knew a chap for South Africa that went to our church (recently passed away). All very nice people. Glad to have you here.

Grey

13. Centaur 1

Centaur 1 Member

Not a long list, but I cast for all of my calibers too. Saves a lot more money than reloading by itself, and casting adds to the satisfaction level. My latest accomplishment was to load the Ranch Dog TL358-100-RF in 9mm. Don't have a chrono but loading data says that i'm over 1300fps, and I have no problem with leading in my Glock 26. Next I want to see how fast I can shoot the Lee 105 grain swc in a 357 mag.

9mm
    .380 acp
    38 special
    .357 magnum
    32 S&W long
    30-30
    30-06

14. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

A small collection of dies

30-06
    30-30
    243WSSM
    22-250
    7mm-08
    5.56/.223Rem

45ACP
    40S&W
    357Mag & 38Spec.
    9mm

Capabilites to load 12 & 20 gauge...but with shot prices and the fact I don't shoot clay birds any longer...not in the cards. I have considered assembling some home-grown buckshot loads for unforeseen uses!

15. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

Can the .25 acp be reloaded

16. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Got small fingers?

Sure can, just with my big, clumsy hands, I wouldn't want to be fumbling with those small pills.:p

Here's a link to Midway's .25ACP dies. Cost is from $30 (Lee 3-Die Carbide to Lyman 3-Die set at $53 and finally the RCBS Carbide Dies for $73). Lee's the only one that doesn't charge more, the others...I would surmise it's because it's not a high-demand item.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=12667&

They also stock only 3 bullets for this caliber, but you might try Powder Valley, Natchez, Grafs,Mid South, Widener's or other suppliers. Only mold I found for cast boolitz from Midway is an RCBS at $116 for a 2-cavity. It wouldn't be feasible at that price unless a man was to have a 55gal barrel full of .25 brass and a resale market with proper FFL.

Bullets run 12-18 cents each from most suppliers and with primers coming in at 3.5 cents each you'd be looking at a per box of 50 cost of around $10 for Gold Dot and a bit less for FMJ. Factory Gold Dot rounds run $10 per small box of 20, so maybe you might consider it if you've got some friends to share the cost and time shooting these rounds.

Question is...is it worth it; do you shoot that much/often. Do the math and let us know what you decide. You'd probably be one of the few that ran that caliber from your bench.

17. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

I hear their hard to reload a lot of pinched fingers

18. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Brass Catcher

I don't know what type/size area you have at the range(s) you shoot at, but I lay out a large tarp to catch brass at our family's small 100yd range. It's grassy/weedy field. Pistol brass and 5.56 brass disappear rather quickly without the tarp to catch them. You could still use a tarp as a baracade by driving a couple 'T' Posts or build a pvc pipe frame that can be assembled/disassembled quickly) and suspended one end of a tarp by tying it off to the posts/pipe frame and let the brass roll down onto the other end that's laying on the ground if space around the bench is limited. Just thought, but the simple tarp method sure has saved us a lot of search time and little if any wasted cases.

19. 97thSignalman

97thSignalman Member

I will try your tarp suggestion. I have used one before. It can be problematic if I am in the load development stage since the brass from different loads does not always land in the same generel area. It's probably my best option. I sort of hope that the price of 6.8 SPC brass might come down a bit as more folks begain to produce it. On the otherhand, not all new calibers make it in the long run so it could even go away.

20. jcw

jcw Member

30/30
    .35 rem.
    8X57 Mauser
    6.5X55 Swede.
    .38 spl.
    And soon to start:
    9X18 Makarov