Marlin Forums banner

Proper Definition of "Gun Collector"

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  28Shooter 
#1 ·
Gun News
========
You may have heard on the news about a southern California man put under 72-hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and allegedly had (by rough estimate) 100,000 rounds of ammunition stored in his home. The house also featured a secret escape tunnel.

My favorite quote from the dimwit television reporter: “Wow! He has about a quarter million machine gun bullets.” The headline referred to it as a “massive weapons cache”.

By southern California standards someone owning 100,000 rounds would be called “mentally unstable”. Just imagine if he lived elsewhere:

In Arizona, he’d be called “an avid gun collector”.

In Texas, he’d be called “a novice gun collector”.

In Utah, he’d be called “moderately well prepared”, but they’d probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.

In Montana, he’d be called “The neighborhood Go-To guy”.

In Idaho, he’d be called “a likely gubernatorial candidate”.

In Wyoming, he’d be called “an eligible bachelor”.

In Wisconsin, he’d be called “a deer hunting buddy”.

And, in Alabama, They’d just call him “Bubba"

See less See more
#6 ·
I much prefer the terms "addicted", "passionate", "avid", or "accomplished" when it come to collecting :D. I suppose coin or stamp collectors could be deemed unstable if their collections passed a certain size. The fact that this happened in the California says it all for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.