Reality of ammo shortage???

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by greyhawk50, Sep 10, 2013.

1. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

When you can go to every Wal-Mart, or any big box store and see the lines to buy .22, 9mm, .38 you know this IS THE CAUSE. I know a lot of people around here doing exactly this very thing. Yes guns and magazines have come back. And all ammo except the above mentioned calibers (in this area). Guess nobody blows away 2 or 300 rounds of .308 or 30-06 in a day....:p. I know its easy with an AR to squander .223 fast but even that has returned. During the summer we often went thru a brick or more of .22 on the range a week, but now that school has started back up and turkey/deer season is about to kick back in, along with football practice/games the bullseyes matches has slacked off a lot. I still pick up a box once in a while when I see it but don't go looking and wont pay a penny over standard retail. Trying to tell someone what to pay for ammo is like telling them not to buy gas when it goes up, some just have to shoot, just like they have to drive.

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

As long as people think our 2nd amendment right are in a threat there is going to be panic buys

4. SWO1

Went by Wal mart to pick up some oil to change my tractor to get ready for winter. Ran into an interesting fellow at the ammo case. Another conspiracy theorist. He was buying his allotted 3 boxes of .22. Going on and on how the government was still buying up all the ammo. All the while looking at a full case of everything you could think of. When Rick pointed out the glut of 9MM, .45, .40, .223, and then pointed to the 4 CASES of 1000 rds of Federal .223 that came in last night.....:). At that point he went into some story that he had INSIDE info to some effect that the ammo makers were having some kind of TAX PROBLEMS with the Government and to make amends had to cut back on .22 production. Neither Rick or myself could make heads or tales of his theory. Where do these Goobers come up with this crap....:confused: I think that guy who is the (internet) French Model on the TV commercial spreads this stuff.....LOL, and his girlfriend attests to it. That's my theory where all these theories come from.

5. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I think that the theories come about while they are standing in line talking instead of listening! Lol

6. s1120

s1120 Active Member

because when the mouth is open...the brain is shut.

I know why its sparse here in NY... come next year we need a background check every time we buy, and no mail order.... no one knows what it will cost then.

7. SWO1

In reality if you don't have it then there is a shortage. But even at the very height of it all the ammo was availiable to the public. It was at the gun shows, piled to the ceiling, AT INFLATED PRICES. And who was selling it....Not the government....The general public...making a buck. People were hording it...not admitting they had 1000s...even 10,000s or rounds stashed. Same with powder, bullets and primers. Why are most all guns, ammo besides .22 more or less back.....COST. The majority cannot afford to keep it cleaned out any longer. The supply side has caught up with their wallets. .22 is cheaper than any other ammo and they can still afford to keep it bought up. But that is slowly catching up to them also. Most people are getting ahead 50/100/brick at a time at regular prices. Limits on individual purchases has helped. I know it is worse in some parts of the country than others. Just like gas is a lot higher in some states than others. Heck gas is .15 a gallon cheaper 50 miles from me. I don't think there is an effort underway to limit ammo to specific parts of the country....LOL......and FOR SURE NOT .22

8. redbarron

redbarron Member

Yes, and it's funny, I went to Gander Mountain in Tyler Tx. last week and suddenly there are pallets of 5.56 and .223 as well as pallets of 9mm and 7.62x39 and all the rest of the ammo that was scarce 2 months ago with the exception of .22 and of all things, .30/30.

But for the last few months I have been at the store when the truck arrives and noticed the same 20 -30 guys standing in line buying it all up to sell at gun shows or just hoard.
    Make no mistake, there are quite a few hoarders sitting on a ton of ammo that will soon be MUCH less valuable than it has been and they will be trying to unload it at almost ANY price...lol

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Stopped in Gander Mtn yesterday. I know the guy behind the counter, and he told me about the same thing. He told me they put out all ammo evry Wed morning, and the same 10-15 guys are in line waiting for the store to open, then they come in and buy everything ,in a hour its all gone, mostly the .22.
    Then it all shows up in the afternoon on the local trader/classified.
    For 3-4 times what they paid.

Im hopeing they end up getting shafted someday.

Jim

10. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Steve Horandy wheres the ammo?
    [ame]http://youtu.be/PYMiC0GeLq4[/ame]

11. SWO1

Hornady echos what every ammo, gun, and component manufacturer is saying. Myself I have NEVER shot a Hornady round, so not seething them around here is no issue. Plenty of Federal, Winchester tho and other off brands!! Also no Hornady components, but again I don't use them so its no issue for me. I know they are favored by a lot of people so it is for them.

I know Hornady is not the issue here but the overall issue of availiability form the entire industry.