Marlin Forums banner

Red Dot question?

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jrelentless 
#1 ·
If you were going to put a red-dot on your rimfire...... which style/type would you use and why? I'm hoping to find a relatively affordable one. TIA.

#2 ·
what type of bases are on your rimfire? does it have the reciever drilled and tapped already for bases? reason i ask is, most of the red dots have the weaver style mounts already attached. if you have a grooved reciever, then you would need a mount that converts from grooved to a weaver style. i would think whatever one that you can see well would work just fine and i can't see spending a fortune on one for a rimfire.

#3 ·
Axxe,

It's a marlin 60SB with the grooves. I may consider a weaver style base at some point... I think I've seen some that are specifically meant for rimfires, but I can't recall how they needed to be mounted. Thanks for the reply.

#4 ·
The Weaver bases and rings are designed to accommodate scopes with one inch tubes. They work pretty well and are easy enough a caveman can do it. I'm proof...I used them to put a regular scope on my .22mag. The down side is all 22 rifles have the grooves in different configurations based on ejection port location. It might be a good idea to see where the rings would line up on your rifle and compare that to where the scope would fit. You may not get the scope/red dot in the exact location you want. While my 3-9x40 works okay on my 22mag it sits a little too far forward for my taste, but I can live with it.

#5 · (Edited)
I prefer the Reflex Red Dot. I have 3 and I like them. Mine are made by Sightmark. I bought them at Dunham's for less than $50 ea. The on-line review at that time was 4.2 stars. The one that I put on my cross bow required a set of adapter to convert it from 22 grove to Weaver Base. A second one went on my Ruger Mark II with a Weaver Rail made to fit.
Just my $.02. I put the third one on my CVA 50 cal. muzzle loader.

Grey

Attachments

#6 ·
okay, Bearhands has a M60 with the grooved reciever. i believe there is a mount that uses the grooves to mount it and convert it to weaver style rings. i found two different ones that might for what you intend on doing. one is made by Weaver, PN# 48202 that uses the tip-off mounts. the other is made by Ironsighter PN# 624M, that converts from grooved 3/8" reciever to weaver style bases. i found both of these at MidwayUSA.com and i use them all the time with confidence. they have excellent service and prices, and shipping is pretty fast also. on the red dot i use on my AR, the mounts are made directly on the red dot and made for weaver style bases. now if the red dot uses a ring instead, then just use rings made for a grooved reciever and it should work fine.

#7 ·
I bought the 3/8" to Weaver adapter blocks at Dunham's along with the Reflex sight for my cross-bow.
Need to mention. The only dislike about the Reflex is finding the Dot when it's mounted on a pistol. No problem on a rifle because your cheek weld lines you up with the sight. But, with a pistol, I sometimes have to hunt for the Dot.

#10 ·
F.YI. U best look again at vendor if u r shopping for green laser. The green laser is the only way too go where even in slight cloudy days u can sight in 25 yards with no problem. Furthermore, I own a laser max that even fits on my compact gun and weight is very lite n unit itself is small enough not to protrude. Mind u that u get what u pay for n it don't come cheap unless u r a military man in service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.