Refinishing Stocks

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Gumpy, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Does refinishing the original stocks on a gun lessen it's value? My levermatic has a few dings on it and I would like a glossier finish on it than the matt finish it has now. It's still a sharp lookin' gun (to me) so should I leave well enough alone?

Attached Files:

2. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

If a gun in not considered collectible or antique refinishing any part of the gun will not change its value. In some instances it may increase the value a little. What it boils down to is it is your gun and you want it to look a certain way go for it, as long as it is not a collectible. Most people that have guns are not looking to sell, unless they are dealers or collectors that buy and trade often. Most of us buy, keep and shoot our guns.

3. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Pretty much what Spud9 said. If you have plans to put it on the market in the near future I would leave it alone. If this rifle is a 'keeper', than I would do what makes you happy and enjoy it.

4. Gumpy

It's def a "keeper"! My Uncle bought it new and my Aunt gave it to me when he passed away. I guess I'm just looking for a project. I can't stand not to have something not going on.

5. 97thSignalman

97thSignalman Member

Do it! Strip the old finish and stem out any dents. Sand lightly and polish bare wood with 0000 Steel wool. Fill grain, stain and seal to suit and then use a hand-rubbed tung oil finsh with multiple applications.

Here is an old M1 Garand stock that I did that way. (To you purists, I still have the original dinged up and chipped stock put away)

Attached Files:

6. Gumpy

Beautiful Garand. You did a most excellent job!!