Marlin Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Sorry I missed your question earlier hombre .......

The crushed walnut media is small enough to become lodged in flash holes. Most will clear by lightly tapping the case side as you pour out what is in the case. If it dosnt I use the Flash Hole Cleaning tool to clear it out. Another tool I use is a depriming rod that I have removed from the Full Length Sizing die. I dont need it in there as I deprime off the press in a seperate process before resizing. As I remove each case from the tumbler I always look thru the flash hole against a light source to make sure it is cleared. I check them also as I uniform the primer pocket and flash hole.
SW,
You answered my big red Q. Thanks. I use a process similar to how you deprime.

Because I do not like to resize and deprime when the case is dirty, I always deprime with the Lee universal, but I only have one press mounted (for now) so I have to change dies a few times. Rifle ammo and handgun ammo are set up a bit differently but basically, I deprime with the universal and then set up to load for the type. On the Turret all dies are set up in sequence. On the single stage it is one die and one procedure at a time.

Then I clean cases in the sonic or vibrator, and use my Lee pocket cleaners to get the black stuff out. When I use the vibratory polisher/cleaner I tap out the loose stuff and then I deprime and resize.

Depriming with the Universal only takes a few minutes per hundred and resizing later punches the media out if there is any stuck in the flash hole; and it saves my resizing dies from damage from the gunk that may have collected on the case.

· Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm sure that you load/shoot more than I do. I don't have sons and grand kids to help me spend money that way. heehee Although that would be a good problem to have. :))
Most of my shooting is shotguns and rimfires.
Except, now I have a 38 spl. that will need to be fed. At one time, I downsized my loading equipment by giving away my Lee Auto Primer and my Lee Powder Dispenser. With the demand of the 38 sp;., I had to order those items again for myself. I have a #55 Ideal Dispenser but the 38 spl. load is a little small for the Ideal. I thought the Lee might work better.
And, Those Small Pistol Primers are SMALL. Grrrrr. Everything else that I load is Large Primers. So much for "Fat Finger Syndrome".

Have a Blessed day. I would love to meet you some day and share your range. Wishful thinking.
I never used the Lee powder dispenser for pistol loads. But am sure it will work great. Yes the small primers are a challange for fat fingers, in my case loss of feeling due to many whacks, broken, or mangled digits. Just happen to be the ones needed to handle the little micro dots.

Our grand daughter and great grand son lives in Ohio, outside of Columbus. I have looked on the map and swinging by you on the way on to North Carolina isnt out of the question. A road trip MAY be on the agenda for later this fall. Maybe our paths will cross ...I would love to meet and talk with you.

· Registered
1,966 Posts
That would be GREAT. Just let me know ahead of time so I'm available.
If it happens, give me a PM and I'll give you my phone number so you can stay in touch as you travel. :))

· AKA Richard Prestage
3,539 Posts
Thanks for all the info and insights into reloading, Mr. SW01. And kudos to all contributing members. This is how a forum should be. I love it when I can find detailed instructions like this!

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Great thread..Never thought of getting a little press for depriming only and it`s a great idea, one less die to swap....
OB, that little Lee C-Press is great. It is strong and steady. I also have a small c-press from Smart Reloader:

http://www.smartreloader.com/

It is a bit on the loose side but works ok for depriming as well as sizing bullets. Cheap too. Why spend more than necessary when something less expensive will fill a niche?

Once all the powder dispensers, scales, presses and dies (etc.) are in place I have a good reliable ammo factory. I may copy SW's bench if he shows a full size shot of the shop. I like the heavy bench top too. I have to give my top another layer of plank or plywood to keep the flexing to a minimum. But all it its own time.

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Three presses :) I see you have the Sierra 5th addition reloading manual too

· Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have keeping an eye on a RCBS rock chucker at a LGS. Its used but good shape. Its down to just over $100 now. I started reloading with one and dont care for the Cam Over on them. Lee presses dont cam over and have more feel to em I think. But if the price gets right I just might pick it up, if someone else dosnt first.

I have had best luck with the Sierra Load data. I mainly use Sierra bullets so guess that is the reason. The Sierra data didnt work to well with Hornady bullets so I picked up one of those also .... MO Better with their bullets. They recommend different powders and their case length is a little shorter on some calibers. I also have a Lyman manual, lots of Lee charts and pubs from Powder Mfgs. Its always good to cross check when thinking outside the box. Somewhere I have an old Speer and Barnes manual but dont use them. Ya never know if I switch to Dillon presses I might just start using the High $$ bullets also ...... :rolleyes:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.