Remington RM380

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by greyhawk50, Jan 10, 2017.

1. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Not happy.
    About a year ago I bought a Remington RM380 as a carry gun for my wife (although she seldom carries).
    She shot it 5-6 times and I shot it a few times. All was good so I put it in the safe.
    A couple months ago, while looking in the safe, I took it out to inspect it.. As I took it thru a dry fire drill, the trigger failed to engage about half the time. I took it to a local gunsmith in holes the the problem was a simple fix. Not the case. He, in turn, he sent it back to the factory. It was gone for 7 weeks. They returned it with a report stating that they had replaced the trigger rod, test fired it and it was good to go. He charged me only $25 to cover the shipping. Nice guy.
    After playing with it for a short time it began to fail again, only worse.
    I took it back to the Gun Shop where I had bought it. It is currently on its way back to the factory.
    I checked the reviews before I bought it and they were all positive. I have 2 friends that own one and my dealer has sold several. No reports of problems except for mine.
    Needless to say, I don't have any ROC products at the top of my wish list.
    I now have a $400 paper weight.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Sorry to hear about the problems Grey. You pay good money and have a right to expect the product to at least work properly. Hopefully, they'll fix it right this time.

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Sorry to hear that grey,hopefully they fix it right this time.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Remington has really been having problems with just about ALL of it's new releases...the R51...RM380...even the R1 1911.

I know because I moderate a Remington Owners Forum...

People are very unhappy...!!

5. FordTruck

FordTruck Well-Known Member

I've found it difficult to swallow most of the "reviews" I read in the gun magazines. I'm sorry you had such a rotten time with your new .380.

6. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

They are hiring at the new Remington plant in Huntsville Alabama. Hopefully their quality will be better from there. I don't know if production has started yet.

7. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

Remington you would expect better quality from a company that claims
    To be the oldest manufacture of firearms in America

:mad:

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Remington was founded in 1816 by Eliphalet Remington as E. Remington and Sons in Ilion, New York...201 years ago.

Winchester was founded in 1866 by Oliver Winchester and Benjamin Tyler Henry as the Volcanic Repeating Arms Company in New Haven, Connecticut...151 years ago.

Smith & Wesson was founded in 1852 by Horace Smith and Daniel B. Wesson in Springfield, Massachusetts...165 years ago.

Marlin Firearms was founded in 1870 by John Mahlon Marlin in North Haven, Connecticut...147 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  9. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Bloody hell Mate
    That has to get your "angry face" growling.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !:mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

Does the operators manual state not to dry fire the gun? KelTec says don't dry fire the PF9. Mine failed within 100 rounds of firing and a few dry fires. The trigger acted like it wasn't even connected inside the gun. I sent it back to KelTec shipped on their dime both ways. I got the gun back real quick and the papers said they replaced darn near the whole gun. It worked okay when I got it back but I sold it off shortly afterward.
    I now have a Ruger LC9s and I like it a lot more than the Kel-Tec even though the LC9s is sort of cloned from the KelTec design.

11. greyhawk50

Sorry that I haven't been on here much. My eye sight is getting worse & I=it's difficult for me to read.

I don't know the amswer to your questing. I seldom read manuals anymore.

As for the RM380, it is on it's way back to Remington for the 4th. (hopefully the last) time. We have requested a refund of the purchase price. After they failed to fix it the 2nd. time, I called them myself. They said that they would either fix it or give me a refund. We'll see.

Pardon any typos, I don/t see well.

12. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I'm sorry to hear about your eyes. I'm facing cataract surgery myself. Can't hardly see to tie a fishhook and cannot have that.

13. greyhawk50

Still waiting. Still no refund.
    Not another $$$ will I spend on Remington products.