Remodeling the Savage M93r17

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by axxe55, Feb 5, 2012.

1. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

well i decided to remodel my Savage m93r17 rimfire rifle after owning it now for about seven years. it is the 21" heavy barrel in the synthetic stock. the stock has the molded in trigger guard, which is something i have never liked about it, just makes it look cheap. so the other night i ordered a Boyd's laminated stock, and ordered a trigger guard and screws from Savage. should be here next tuesday or wednesday. i cleaned and stripped all the blueing from the barrel and action, then refinished them in a stainless silver epoxy appliance paint i found at Lowes. it has been working great on another rifle, so i decided to try it out on this one. when it dries, it looks just like stainless steel. just waiting on the parts to get here, so i can put it back together.

2. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Cool. I've just started a Mauser project, my first and I'm very excited by what I'm building. Post pics when it's done.

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

sounds great, I have a savage 93 .22 mag. I`d sure like to see some pics when your done

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

the top pictures are before the makeover, with the factory synthetic stock and factory finish.

the bottom pictures are of the barreled action after stripping, cleaning and refinishing with the stainless steel colored epoxy paint i used.

the stock and other parts should be here in the next couple of days, and i will update as soon as i get them in and put back together.

Attached Files:

5. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Looking good. Waiting to see the finished product.
    Can you share your epoxy process. Looks interesting & I might want to test it on an older rifle.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

grey, it's real easy to do. first strip off and clean any rust from the parts. i use brake cleaner and a scotch brite and clean the surface, then a rag soaked in alcohol and then wiped down with clean paper towel. then mask any surfaces that you dont want to coat. one more final wipedown with a rag dampened with alcohol. for my barreled action i used a coathanger to hang it from the ceiling on a hook, then using a portable propane torch, heat up the metal surfaces. just warm them up to about 120 degrees, i used a infrared temp gun to monitor mine. when warmed up, apply the first coat very lightly, don't worry about full coverage as it will start to look right after the second coat. let dry about 10-20 minutes depending on temperature, then apply the second coat, wait the same time, then apply the third coat. let dry where it hangs for at least 24 hours. this is critical to the endurance of the epoxy paint.

the paint i used is RUST-OLEUM specialty Appliance epoxy paint. PN#7887 stainless steel color. i bought mine at Lowes for less than $6.00. i have done two rifles so far, and there is lots left in the can. a little goes a long way.

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

the stock was just delivered this morning by UPS, and i got it unboxed, it's awesome looking! looks better in person than it did in the pictures. i have to make some minor fitting adjustments and wait for the trigger guard to arrive from Savage, which should be next monday. so far so good!

Attached Files:

8. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

WOW! That is a beautiful piece of furniture. You should be very pleased when it is finished. That should draw some attention at the range. :)

9. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

thanks grey, i am really impressed with the stock myself. big shrek used one of their stocks on a marlin and he really liked them, so i decided to try one out on my rimfire before using one on my marlin XS7 7mm-08.

here are some pictures after adjusting and trimming the stock to fit the action and barrel. didn't take much. this is just held in place with one action bolt until the trigger guard and screws arrive. i also have to modify the magazine floor plate to fit the stock or make a new one. so far it has exceeded my expectations in making it look nicer.

Attached Files:

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Update to the M60 Makeover!

here are pictures of the finished rifle. i finally received the trigger guard with the other stock i ordered and got it installed the other night. i modified the original magazine floorplate, not knowing it would come with a new one.

Attached Files:

11. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Update to the Savage Makeover.

i did get a chance last week to put a few rounds through the rifle with the new stock. the stock fits way better than the original one and so far i am impressed with it. i will have to do some tuning and tweaking to get the accuracy back, but that was expected. hopefully here within the next month or so, i will get a nice weekend and get spend some time with it and getting it back in shape. i really do like the way it turned out. doesn't even look like the same rifle!