Requesting "Values" help from the ones who know..

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by PJB, Mar 29, 2017.

1. PJB

PJB Member

Good evening everyone, new to the site and had a few questions so I don't get in trouble without knowing. I am helping with a project which involves getting estimated values on a lot of family owned LNIB firearms, most never shot. The family don't want to sell them on the site but we truly don't know what they are valued at. Can you all lend us a hand? Most of them are very very attractive Marlin rimfire rifles! I posted some to another site before I found this one and I accidentally got myself in trouble by just answering a question, over 1 word...it was an honest mistake. Anyway, please let me know if this is a good place for this. Thank you for looking, hope this works out, I enjoy learning about them..not just the value.

2. PJB

PJB Member

And maybe I should have been a little more specific, not just rimfires, ones like Annie Oakleys, cowboys, Century Limiteds, American Wildlife Editions, 44-40's, Colts..it's very amazing. I just want to make sure I'm in the right place to gather info and share them with people who truly enjoy them. Thanks again, hope to hear from you.

3. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I'm sorry I can't help you out. Someone will come along who can.

4. PJB

PJB Member

I will post some good pictures here later on, they are beautiful.

5. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Please remember there are almost always 3 prices. The highest is what we think they are worth. The middle is what they will go for in a private sale. The lowest is what a dealer will pay in order to resell them.

As far as special editions, take a look at the auction history at Amoskeag Auctions. They have search features and you may find some special editions in their previous auctions. With that, pay attention to the hammer price and sold for price. There is a 15% buyers premium and a 15% sellers premium. Basically, someone bids $100, they pay $115 and the seller gets $85

In Amoskeag's history, the special editions and higher end ones will be in the live auctions and the more common models will be in the silent auction catalogs

Hope this gives you some information for your research

6. PJB

PJB Member

Thank you so much for the help! I have looked at a few auction sites and got some good help. A few of them I don't have on me yet so I can't do a lot of research on them (90th Anniversary 22's). I need to get them in hand to verify what it is we have exactly. Thank you again.

7. PJB

PJB Member

Here is one to look over, 1897 AO .22, have all the boxes, I unwrapped it from the shipping material, never fired, LNIB... BEAUTIFUL gun!

ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1490968218.442197.jpg ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1490968260.574447.jpg ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1490968285.329112.jpg ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1490968301.617154.jpg ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1490968319.546793.jpg

8. mm93

mm93 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately a fair number of modern commemoratives wont get any more than they sold for new, and occasionally less. I think your 1897AO may be the exception because it was built before Remington took over, and those guns get more demand. I see them selling in excellent shape, without the box for around $600. I would guess a NIB would get a 20% premium over those without the box.

9. PJB

PJB Member

Thank you for the info, appreciate the help.

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Yea...the commemoratives rarely sell for much more than you paid for them in your lifetime...

And I'm not one for safe queens...if I own it...I shoot it !!

Life's too short... ;)

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

BTW...your best bet...like Matt said...is to go to firearm auction sites

and check out the prices they are selling for there: then realizing those prices are usually inflated also.

Gun Broker
    Gun Auctions
    Guns America

Then there is the Blue Book of Gun Values...costly though.

Good Luck...