Response letter from Charles Grassley_Iowa Republican Pro 2A

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by hombre243, Dec 11, 2013.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

[FONT=&quot]Dear hombre243:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your support for the second amendment. I greatly appreciate hearing from concerned Iowans. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]As you may know, the undetectable firearms act of 1988 makes it illegal to manufacture, import, or transfer a gun that cannot be discovered by metal detection. Without an extension, the law was set to expire on December 9th. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Senator Schumer offered legislation that would have expanded the current restrictions of the ban. This legislation did not consider technological feasibility and various other technical issues. In addition, Senator Schumer only released the language of his amendment the day he offered it. This is not the way to legislate. Before passing legislation that could affect law-abiding gun owners, Congress needs to have hearings and learn more about the relationship between modern technology and the legislation. Legislation that could have significant consequences on constitutionally protected rights should never be considered so lightly. For that reason I objected to Senator Schumer’s legislation and the Senate and House only passed legislation to continue the current ban another 10 years, without any additional restrictions. On December 9th, President Obama signed the extension into law. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I have been a firm supporter of the second amendment and will continue to support every American’s rights to possess firearms. I will be sure to stay vigilant to prevent any legislation that would infringe on these rights.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me with your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or comments you may have in the future. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sincerely,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Chuck [/FONT]