Restoration a 1970 Marlin/Glenfield 25

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by retiring, Mar 28, 2013.

1. retiring

retiring Active Member

Thanks axxe55, A lot of work for something that looks simple, but I would do it again; I like the finish result.:D

2. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Very nice work.... I have been real busy but trying to make time to do some more. I working on an early Revelation 120 now,I will post when completed. Also found a really nice walnut stock Marlin 99 with original Weaver scope.

3. retiring

retiring Active Member

Hi Spud, Thanks for the comment, I must say It did came out looking pretty good for my first time of during a rifle restoration. I didn't strip the factory blue, and I wanted to try another blue system called Van's instant Gun Blue and the site is: http://www.vansgunblue.com/
    I know you have used several types of bluing, and my experience using this type, which applying over the factory blue covered majority of it. After using the Denatured Alcohol to remove any dirt and oil, I apply 3 coat of Van's bluing and lightly with 0000 steel wool.
    Then apply 12 more coats with cotton balls and wipe off with paper towels; MUST important is each application I heated the barrel with a hair dryer, and after all coats I apply lots of gun oil until over night and then wipe off. Now I want to find another project, but this time I want to totally strip a barrel and then use Van's Instant Gun Blue to see the end result. I also used this on screws, dowel pin, and file down a spot on the receiver. I did treat this like a patch job and it cover very close to factory color. Let me know if you ever decide to use Van's bluing system; who knows maybe you can this to collection of bluing system.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  4. lostangel1171

lostangel1171 Member

Beautiful job on the Glenfield 25. I'm restoring an old Marlin 100. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm gonna get some of that Vans gun blue and give it a shot.

5. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

I have seen Vans but have not tried it yet. It sounds a lot like other bluing. I will have to look it up. Thanks for the info.

I am in the middle of doing a Revelation 120, maybe I will get some and try it. I am also getting ready to start work on a model 99. The stock is walnut and in pretty good shape. I will post when I am done.

6. retiring

retiring Active Member

Hi Spud,
    Please post some pictures on both since I don't know what a Revelation 120 is.

7. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

This is a Revelation 120. Basically a Marlin 99. Made for Western Auto stores.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. retiring

retiring Active Member

It does look like the one you refinished
    Definitely post some pictures of your progress and/or finish result

9. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

The other one I refinished was an old walnut stocked 989. 989 is a magazine fed rifle, The 99 is tube fed. But they all eat the same thing..... hehe...

10. retiring

retiring Active Member

I saw these type of rifle that is tube fed, but I want to know is how do you feed the rounds in the tube? [​IMG]

11. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Simple, the front end of the tube twists and pulls forward, there is a slot about 1/3 from the front of the tube to put your ammo in, then you push the tube back in and lock twist lock it. The spring in the push tube pushes the ammo into the feed throat.

12. Vietmudpuppie

Vietmudpuppie New Member

I don't know if I have the patience to go that far on a weapon..I lucked up when I got mine..A guy I knew asked me if I would be interested in some old guns..I told him I would be and we met for the inspection..He opened his car trunk and I looked..I left with 2 22cal.rifles and four old single barrel shot guns..So far after finding the magazines the Glenfield is the best of the bunch..I like the way it feels and it is accurate..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  13. retiring

retiring Active Member

Having the patience is one thing, but you also need the love and pleasure of rebuilding and or re-finishing a rifle and enjoy the end results. Try it, I'll bet you will also like the results of your project work.[​IMG]

14. kybeagle

kybeagle Member

Nice job on your 25. That vintage Marlin scope looks good on her too.

15. retiring

retiring Active Member

Hi, and thanks for the comment
    Is it possible for you to post your rifle?

16. Maxreverse

Maxreverse New Member

Retiring,

Thanks for the post. It was useful for the restoration of my 1978 Model 20. I used Casey Birch for the blueing process but heated the barrel as you suggested. It worked like a champ. I did not bleach the stock but will keep that in my bag of tricks the next restoration.

New to the Forum,
    Max

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum