Ruger Mini-30

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by lingr, Oct 28, 2014.

1. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

I'm looking into purchasing a Ruger Mini-30. Here's a pic of the type I'm currently looking at. Has 20 round mag, flash suppressor, and peep sight. Price is $729 new.
    I was wondering everyone's thoughts. Good? Bad? Reliability? Etc...
    ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1414518100.698875.jpg

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I never knew they made one ...... a lot better caliber for deer and the like than the .223. the 7.62X39 is about like a 30-30 for ballistics. I have never seen one. I would think its a good rifle. Do they make a 5 or 10 round mag for it also ?

3. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Don't know about the 10 round mag, but they do make a 5 for it. For the states that don't allow the high capacity mags, and for hunting. Read some reviews online, some like it some don't. Biggest complaint is that some say it doesn't feed the cheap steel case ammo very good ( Wolf, TulAmmo). Which I would probably get the brass case ammo anyway ( American Eagle). Cost more but American made.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. Nogoat

Nogoat Well-Known Member

I have one, love it and plan on reloading hunting rounds for it. I have five rounds in case I stubble into a limit state. The only accessories are a harris mount and a camo stock I just ordered from Ruger.
    So far no cheap ammo issues, heard it was early ammo with coatings that got soft as the chamber got hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

5. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I also done an on-line search. The reviews that I seen were good. Found 5 rd., 20 rd. & 30 rd. mags. for the Ruger 30. Didn't see any 10 rd. mags. Doesn't mean that they don't exist.
    It is a gas operated action that will require extra care in cleaning. The field strip video didn't look to hateful. 7.62X39 ammo isn't as pricy as most, unless you buy expanding hunting rounds, but restraint would have to be the pattern or one could break the budget pretty quickly.
    The 7.62X39 has it advantages over the 223. JMHO
    Lingr mentioned steel case ammo. Although some people say it is OK, I only buy it by mistake. (ie. the TulAmmo that I bought for my 380) (a subject for another thread) Not a fan of steel case ammo. Again, JHMO

I'm having an itch to buy one for myself. Looks like fun. Kinda like the flu, I'm sure the symptoms will pass in a week or so. Need to think, "less guns - more ammo". Just me.

6. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I like it, is it 7.62X39 ?? would be awesome in 30-30...Hey has there ever been a semi-auto 30-30 ??? I know gettin off topic

7. greyhawk50

ob, Yes to the 7.62X39.
    The 7.62X39 is a ballistic twin to the 30-30.
    Never heard of a semi-auto 30-30. Don't think that the rimmed case would be user friendly in a semi-auto action.
    Marlin, Winchester, maybe Henry made lever 30-30s. Maybe Uberti. Savage made a bolt action 30-30. H&R/NEF made a single shot model. Thompson Center made 30-30 barrels in several lengths (pistol & carbine).
    Not sure about Rossi but it's a definite maybe.

8. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I have a brother-in-law that has a 30-30 in a pump. All his guns are safe queens, shoots maybe 1 round a year ..... lol. I think it is a stevens or savage. If it works in a pump probably would work in an auto .... ?

9. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Mini-30s last about a minute-and-a-half when and if they make it to the shelf at the guns shops in my area. Folks seem to really like them.

10. greyhawk50

I was relying on memory when I wrote the post.
    Afterwards, I was thinking that someone made a 30-30 pump. And yes, Savage made a 30-30 pump rifle. It was the Model 170. Seems to be worth $300 or so, if you can find one.
    After searching the web, I found hints that Remington may have made a 30-30 semi-auto rifle. Sure nuff. It was the Model 8 & Model 81.
    As for the Rossi, didn't find a model in 30-30 but they did make a model in 7.62X39 (no longer listed on their site).
    Savage also made a Model M-219C in 30-30 Single Shot Rifle.
    Cimarron made a model called the Little Rascal (mini Sharps) in 30-30 caliber. Neat looking rifle if you have $1300 or so to spend.
    Thompson Center made 10", 14" & 23" 30-30 barrels for the Contender.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. (Ruger Mini-30)
    Sorry for the rabbit trail.

11. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Are you planning any mods ... pistol grip, scope ??

12. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Probably would keep stock as is. Just don't care for a pistol grip. As for a scope I would consider a 4x fixed or maybe a red dot. This rifle was designed for short to medium range shooting, don't really need more magnification than that.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014