Ruger Rifles

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by axxe55, Feb 18, 2012.

1. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Hey Speed Shooter, is that a factory stock? It's the nicest walnut I've ever seen on a Ruger!

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

There is a big difference in the size of cartridge and charge in the 2.But diameter of the 2 there is a very slim difference.:cool:

3. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

that is a nice looking stock alright. i have a soft spot for the older M77 Ruger rifles. i have had several in different calibers over the years. they are very fine shooting rifles and beautiful to look at too. very classic bolt action rifles. refined elegance in firearms.

4. Speed_Shooter

Speed_Shooter Member

When I bought the gun, I was going to buy a Remington 700 BDL. But I really liked the looks and feel of the Ruger, and the stock was so much nicer than the Remington. That was the era when Remington was using the "bowling pin" finish, and I just didn't like it. I think this version of the M77 is very classic looking.

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i like most bolt action rifles in general, but the older Rugers were just nice looking rifles. thats the reason i jumped at the chance when i found one for sale a couple of weeks ago. i have my fathers Winchester M70 here at the house cleaning it up. my father brought it over to me last weekend so i could take it apart and clean it as he said it hasn't been out of his safe in 15 years! it still has some beautiful wood on it. i killed my first deer with this rifle over 30 years ago and it was the first centerfire rifle i ever shot when i was much, much younger. my father bought this rifle in about 1969 or 1970 new. wow, hard to believe this gun is over 40 years old!

6. Fomdiddle

Fomdiddle Well-Known Member

Jester, your going to need at least 24" to maximize that .358. Fom

7. JesterGrin_1

JesterGrin_1 Active Member

22-24" is good for the 35 Whelen as it is based on the 30-06 case.

Where as 20-22" will work just fine for the .358 Winchester as it is based on the short .308 Win Case.

Believe me I have researched this thing till I have almost gone blind lol. :)

8. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Ruger M77V 280 Remington

well i picked the Ruger M77V 280 Rem. yesterday. refinished the stock yesterday and last night. got a chance this afternoon to put a few rounds through it. i am very impressed with it's potential accuracy. here are some pictures of the rifle and some of the shots taken at 100 yards. the first were some getting the scoped zeroed in. the second one is a five shot group after i zeroed it.

Attached Files:

9. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

I have been wanting a Mini-14 for awhile now and I am essentially waiting for funds to purchase it. I am wanting to make it more of a tactical gun so I want to change the stock around on it and put some add on into the stock via a rail. Any thought or suggestion on gun choice or on stocks and add ons for it? Thanks in advance for and suggestion or input.

10. tCan

tCan Active Member

My laminate wood stock is the most tactical stock that I need.

You need a flashlight for your firefight?
    Here's a flare gun.

11. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

Yes actually a flashlight would come in fairly handy at times such as predator hunting at dusk or night or hunting hogs at dusk or night. A flare gun seems pretty impractical too me.

12. tCan

tCan Active Member

Lighten up.

13. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

I am not mad, I was just trying to point out the practicalities of having a light mounted to a gun.

14. tCan

tCan Active Member

Let me reiterate. "Light"en up. As in do what you want. I already knew your point of view from your other post. I was just sharing mine.

Wood and steel for me please! :)