Marlin Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Had a good day in the National Forest with some semi-formal range time. I picked up this little fun gun at big 5 about 6 weeks ago with Bite Me's stimulus money. Awesome sporting bolt gun in 5.56 Cal. I had a Nikon 3X P223 optic on it, and boy what an awesome combo!! Takes AR mags! The magpul mag that Ruger throws in the box is super tight fitting junk that is worthless on the rifle. I substituted a stanag made by D&H, and that brought it back to life. From a non solid rest I was getting a tight 1.5 inch group at 60 yds, with no flyers, using crappy perfecta 223 ammo from Walmart. I got this ammo for less than 40c per round a couple years ago. I look forward to bench testing this combo with 55gr and 62 gr. 5.56 ammo from Federal next time out. I think this gun/scope combo has a lot of potential, and could be an ideal "Truck gun" in the PRK, and other restrictive states.

Next up... Mini 14 and Mini 30..

·
Registered
50 Posts
How is it that you can shoot in the National Forest in the PRK? One would think that the Fuhrer Newsom & his global warming gestapo would track you down & place you in manacles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is it that you can shoot in the National Forest in the PRK? One would think that the Fuhrer Newsom & his global warming gestapo would track you down & place you in manacles.
National Forests are Federal. Our pro-2A Sheriff revoked permission for Federal employees to enforce state statutes in their jurisdiction several years ago. Local elections matter!!
Our Sheriff also basically ran-off a tree Cop, who was constantly harassing gun-owners, who were exercising their 2A rights on Federal Public Property.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vol 2.

I also brought along Old Standby, my first centerfire rifle, that I bought brand new 40 yrs ago, a 183 series, stainless mini 14. A couple years ago I bought some CDNN 10 rnd "Original Equipment" brand magazines. They generally worked well, but would sometimes jam because the gritty green follower caused enough resistance to slow or stop a new round from feeding into the chamber.
A little while later, I noticed that Midway USA sold Ruger made parts for magazines, including those slippery smooth black followers. So I ordered up a dozen of those to go along with my $10 magazines.
After disassembling the CDNN mags ( Not an easy task to remove the bottom plate without scratching up the mag body), I removed the gritty green followers, and installed the Ruger followers. Looked great. Now it was time to field test them. I brought along 3 of them ( I wasn't going to fire 120 rnds. of Valuable ammo for mag testing)
I am happy to report that these 3 mags worked flawlessly, maybe even better than Ruger made 10's. I did load and fire 10 rounds in each magazine. So, for about $15 each, out the door pricing, I got mags that Ruger wants $40 each for. And these may be better!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts