Rust in the bore

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by FOUR4D4, Nov 18, 2013.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Ok I have a 1907 side by side shotgun that was my Grandfathers,with some rust inside the barrel its pretty bad what would you use to clean it.I have some oil soaking in the barrel now.I would like to stay away from using a stainless steel torpedo brush,From what the what marking tell me its a steel barrel and not demascus twist. I have both 00 and 0000 steel wool.And some navel jelly.:rolleyes: Any of your thoughts are appreciated:cool:
    Thanks

2. FOUR4D4

Nevermind dumb question :eek:

3. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Why? What did you do?

4. FOUR4D4

I soaked it in oil for about an hour, then ran a dry patch,sprayed some shooters choice degreaser down the barrel, and fowlled with a tornado brush.Then ran a dry patch.followed by spraying some Clp down the bore. Ok then here comes a dry patch followed by a 12 ga mop then some 00 steel wool wraped around a smaller 20 gage brush followed by a dry patch and then sprayed with oil to sit over night.

5. Gumpy

Thanks. I was just curious. The bore of a shotgun is not as critical as that if a rifle. What would you suggest do with a rifle, besides pass it by?

6. FOUR4D4

Dependting on how bad it is. I would soak it for a few days in hoppes then run a brush through it then a patch with degreaser. and repeat until you get a clean patch

7. Gumpy

Reckon how bad the rust pits that are left will affect accuracy?

8. FOUR4D4

I guess so :(