Marlin Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a loss here on how to keep rust away from my beloved firearms.I thought the sila gel for 33sq ft,silicone storage socks.Rem oil & Rig grease would be enough.At least its the older guns that i bought used and not in my possession for their life time they were just mistreated at an early age.And they never saw oil till I brought them home.Just venting a little:)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Found some places for you to look.

I'm at a loss here on how to keep rust away from my beloved firearms.I thought the sila gel for 33sq ft,silicone storage socks.Rem oil & Rig grease would be enough.At least its the older guns that i bought used and not in my possession for their life time they were just mistreated at an early age.And they never saw oil till I brought them home.Just venting a little:)

http://www.theinhibitor.com/VCI-Gun-Storage-with-Rust-and-Corrosion-Protection-s/41.htm

http://www.theruststore.com/Gun-Rust-Protection-During-Storage-W24C2.aspx
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGdVW7SSJRSDoAdLlXNyoA?p=rust+preventative+for+gun+storage&fr2=sb-top&fr=chr-hp-psg&type=HPDTDF&type_param=HPDTDF&rd=pref

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I live in western,wa where it rains 250 days a year and rust is enemy #1.
Regular monthly wipedowns with gun oil is a must..I use something I learned from one of my unit armorers in the military, stuff a sock full of charcoal briquettes and stick them in the gun cabinet,take them out every few months and put them by the fire to dry...it works

·
Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKLy97Afjfc[/ame]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like to put Johnson's paste wax on all my guns once a year. Usually on a rainy day in February when there is nothing else to do. Use it on metal and wood. I never have any issues.

BUBSDAD

·
Registered
111 Posts
I saw a test of several different products on bare metal, and WD-40 LTCI, came out on top. This is NOT standard WD-40, but a new product to prevent rust. I have not used it, but there was no rust on the steel protected by it.
Terry

·
Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone ever tried CLP Breakfree I have used it. It seems like it dries up must be more of a cleaner

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Basically anything with Lanolin in it

Magic stuff

They tell me Remiol is good also
I suppose it would take an Aussie to note Lanolin as they have to do something to market their sheep:D
That's ok Bucky because I prefer to market our Fishing and Hunting opportunities here in Alaska. Oh and we have the oil to make the guns slick!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Art
Love the little dig, but I had a lot of trouble with rust on 3 rifles, which I have stopped in its tracks.
It was whilst I was in Norway, and staying with some locals that I learnt about Lanolin, as they basically greased up all the rifles in one of their bunkers, that their father looked after, or should I say ex-bunkers, with Lanolin. This prevented rusting during their long damp winters.

When I came home, 7 weeks later, I told a mate of mine, and he then tells me he had been using it for years.

A local product called "Lanox", (part of the Inox family) and it is marine grade anti rust, and a lubricant as well.

But I have mentioned it before

Also I would love to go to Alaska, but it's a little out of the question, as Norway is again calling us. Maybe I can do both if I win Lotto

Cheers Mate
Bucky

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ed's Red or Rig have always been my "go-to" products for rust prevention. Also, use a dry rod in your gun safe.

·
Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use Rig and gun socks with the Silca Gel box

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I live in western,wa where it rains 250 days a year and rust is enemy #1.
Regular monthly wipedowns with gun oil is a must..I use something I learned from one of my unit armorers in the military, stuff a sock full of charcoal briquettes and stick them in the gun cabinet,take them out every few months and put them by the fire to dry...it works
Like oldbrass I wipe mine down regular with Gun Oil (Rem oil). And everytime I handle one it is wiped down. Even parts that are left in the shop for periods of time are wiped down and don't have a rust problem. I like the charcoal thingy ...... gonna do that also, cant hurt.

·
Registered
488 Posts
One of the original parts to the Ed's Red mixture is lanolin. The Swiss used it and I have yet to see a poor Swiss rifle bore regardless of age.

·
Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rust never sleeps

Reactions: FordTruck

·
Registered
760 Posts
Friend of mine told me about putting rice in a sock and put it in the safe. Supposedly it soaks up the moisture like silica packs do.
Linseed oil is supposedly a good rust preventive also. I rubbed down my Marlin 60 and my shotguns with it. It does seem like a fairly thick coating and it doesn't hurt the wood furniture or plastics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If y'all like lanolin - take a look at Fluid Film. Incredible stuff made from wool. It is all natural - it leaves a nice super thin coating that provides long term protection. I also use the rice in the sock - although I like the idea of using charcoal. I will try that and see how it does.

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
I'll have plenty of charcoal in my stocking this year. I'll send you some after Christmas, lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My house is full of moist air. I cannot help it but try to do everything to prevent my Glock 17 from rusting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts