Marlin Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
7,853 Posts
The Edsel of guns, ugly at the time but worth more now! Thats sure is an awesome gun,Lt

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My Uncle Noel has one and its been his only hunting rifle for many years, works every time

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
nice looking rifle LT. you just don't see that many of the old m99 like that anymore, and usually if you happen across one, they want an arm and a leg in price for them. not the prettiest of rifles, but solidy built and nice shooting rifles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like the looks of them. My dad had a ,308 model F? It was a featherweight. Nice gun for sure. He ended up giving it to my brother in law who needed it more then me. Thankfully, he still has it and uses it. It's his only rifle.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
"The Edsel of Guns" - poetry. They certainly made up for their looks with those pointed bullets and oldtime performance cartridges. When I was a kid, everybody was switching over to bolt actions and you could pick up old Savage 99s for next to nothing. If only we knew...

·
Registered
853 Posts
That sure is the truth 28Shooter...if only we knew.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
"The Edsel of Guns" - poetry. They certainly made up for their looks with those pointed bullets and oldtime performance cartridges. When I was a kid, everybody was switching over to bolt actions and you could pick up old Savage 99s for next to nothing. If only we knew...
That sure is the truth 28Shooter...if only we knew.
i agree! i can remember amny years ago, you could buy a decent Savage 99 for a decent price at a gun store or gun show, now they hardly ever seem to show up, and when they do, they are wanting a fortune for them. i wish i had the forethought to buy several of them many years ago and just put them back!

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
just yesterday morning, i went to my LGS to pick up my pistol that was in layaway, was checking out some rifles and shotguns in the used rack, and low and behold, there is a Savage M99 in 250-3000 Savage. but what was unique, was the factory take-down feature! i looked it over, and it had that old look to it, not crusty and rusty, just looked like an old and well used rifle, that was passed down several times. i worked the lever, and looked it over, it was solid and smooth. it was marked as a gun on consignment and had $1395 on the price tag. i don't know if it was worth it or not, but it was a neat old M99 none the less. i wished i had been able to take some pictures of it, to post on here.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Speed Shooter, that is a really clean 99. Nice wood and it looks to be well taken care of.
Although I've never owned one, I've always thought that I needed a 99. From what I've heard, they were by design, ahead of their time.
At this season in my life, there is little chance that I'll spend that kind of money.
Thanks for sharing.

Grey

·
Registered
853 Posts
Very nice rifles!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only problem I have with the 99 is that the lever is just about too small for my hands. With gloves on I have a hard time working the lever. So I generally use the gun in the early part of the season when the weather is warmer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1950's 99's...

Have two 99's bought in Fairbanks, AK in the late 60's, in Pawn Shops no less !

Both were almost pristine....

the .250-3K is an "EG" Model I believe ?
With a 24" bbl. & that wonderful Schnabel for-end.
Still shoots 1.25" groups off bags at 100 yds.

The other is a .300 Sav. in the "F" type or style.
The Perfect Deer Rifle for brush & tight or open woods
due to its balance, light weight and bbl. length.

The .300 seems to be getting renewed interest in some facets
of the gun press due to the new ammo and powders ! :cool:

After all, it was the "model" for the 7.65x51mm NATO and
.308 Win. Was good then and now, even better !

As far as "Ugly at the time..." It's Never been ugly to those who used and loved it !
{A M94 is ugly to me...}

And, at the time, it was way ahead of its time, in terms of no tube magazine, its rotary brass, internal magazine and the ultra-strong action {for its Era}, intuitive hammer cocked indicator and very probably, its inherent accuracy potential.

About the only thing not to like about them was the safety at the lever...
but it did lock the lever to the stock.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts