Scopes

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Dennis58, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Dennis58

Dennis58 Member

What is the best scope to buy for a marlin 30-30
    Thanks.

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Depends a lot on personal preference and the distance that you will be shooting.
    As for brand, I prefer BSA based on the cost vs quality. I've heard good things about the Nikon Pro-Staff.
    As for the magnification, depends on distance to target; a 2.5x is sufficient in many cases but the 4x is more common.
    The 3x9 is a good option. Set on 3x for quick acquisition and then change to 9x for the more distant shots.
    A hunter should never use a rifle scope for spotting (for obvious reasons) but the higher power allows for confirming if a buck is legal after it is determined to be a desired target.
    Another consideration is the width of the cross-hairs. The thinner they are, the more precise will be your point of aim.
    I prefer 40 mm lens to avoid needing higher rings. There are benefits to mounting the scope as close to the barrel as possible. (line of sight vs line of bore)
    Just look around, see what's out there and see what the budget can stand.

3. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

I've been through many scopes and find the FXII Leupold 4x33 to be the best ever.

4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

It depend on where your going to use it

5. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

That would be the FXII 4X anywhere you use it.

6. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

low power variable would be my choice (1x-4x) or there abouts.
    I have a Pentax 1.75-4x24 ballistic plex and a Leapers 1.5-6x42 duplex tactical turrets,
    both of those have enough power for any range shot I am liable to take.
    I also have a couple of Weaver fixed powers 4.75x40 and a K6-6x38 :cool:
    Choice is usually based on price and brand loyalty, my personal favorites are Weaver & Pentax (more bang for my buck).
    Other popular choices, Burris, Bushnell, Nikon, Leupold, etc...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  7. martin3175

martin3175 New Member

Bushnell Elite 2-7 .. Super Optics , and Rainguard coatings .. I have several and no issues whatsoever