Marlin Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
This subject has been written about extensively and I have read dozens if not hundreds of the articles. I have also had this topic reviewed at a CCW class I attended. While I agree with "my house, my rules" in theory. I would prefer my lawyer have as few battles as possible on his hands if I'm ever in this situation. I have been a student of the gun for 40 years. I have read zillions of magazine stories about which gun or which bullets are best for self-defense. The reality is there is very little difference in the number of shots needed to stop a fight with the major calibers regardless of ammo. In a perfect world it shouldn't matter what you use to stop an intruder, but we don't live in a perfect world. To a jury the words 'makes his own ammo' or 'reloads bullets' sounds extreme. So I don't even want a prosecutor to be able to mention I was using handloads and paint a picture of a "gun nut" in court. The weapon and ammo someone else uses is their choice and I won't argue the point. However, I'm sticking with factory ammo in a major caliber and that's one less thing I have to worry about if I ever have to use it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
What you use to stop an intruder in your home or an assault on the street should never be the issue. However, we live in a world where there is an ambulance chasing lawyer on every corner waiting to make a name for himself. You can take this next statement to the bank. Every self-defense shooting, whether it results in a death or not, will have two trials.

When the Police/State are done with you the family will certainly bring round two in the form of a civil trial. Sometimes it will be worse than the first trial. Keep in mind the rules and standards in civil court are more lax than State or Federal.

I don't agree with all the things that happen in our court system, but everyone who has a gun in their home for self-defense or carries one should educate themselves to minimize their exposure if their day in court ever comes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts