Small Game Huntin'

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SHOOTER13, Sep 30, 2012.

1. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I'm with you hombre. I've eaten pigeon (and other tweety birds), snakes, frogs, and Lord knows what in Turkey, Korea, and the Philippines.

2. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Seems those sights are working well Shooter !!:)

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

4. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Love pigeon

and frog legs...;)and I may have liked the meat off one of my grandpa's 3 legged chickens but no one could catch one.

5. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I scoped out the snails in the front yard. Boiled a few and dunked them in butter. YUK! Tasted like dirt, but they can be eaten if required.

6. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

You boys want some "FINE CUSUINE" if ya get the chance take an "Escape and Evasion" course. I have attended them in the Phillipines and Porta Rico. Those Instructors will Eat ANTHING......:eek:

7. SHOOTER13

Got a few more tree rats today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. moparman1911

moparman1911 Well-Known Member

In florida..

shooter there is a law in florida you can shoot every squirrell or rat or any quote nuicance animal.like you said your screens,shed,soffits anything likre that.i use 22 caliber pellet gun super heavy duty springer,beeman convertible,comes with a 177 barrel and 22 caliber barrel.i have two with huge scope.177 is fast but sometimes it does not make a wound channel big enough to kill them cleanly.only if you shoot straight into the shoulder and go though the heart liver and lungs and usually snaps the spine.i do headshots just to say i can do them,but they flop around dead just don`t know it yet.i have a hell of a recipe for squirrell and eat at least half a dozen a week.the meat fall off the bone like butter.you have to use a bowl and your hands because all the meats melts off the bone.i marinate over nite and if you want the recipe just ask.prime rib squirrell.but i blast at least two a day.i have a huge steer skull in an oak tree in the middle of the yard about 30 yards up.really high,i put it up in a y with a 40 foot ladder.it is like candy.they cannot help themselves and sit ontop of that skull and chew away perfect platform to pop em as i am shooting up.but i have a 3/4 6 foot fence around half an acre and a wooded lot next door to my house so they are always there,never fail.none go to waste,i eat em all.

9. moparman1911

A freezer full

i can shoot a picture into my freezer and there will be forty squirrells in there.i have been doing this for 25 years.i shoot em in the head or shoulder, never gut shots and take em whole and throw them in the freezer as soon as i pick them up.if you shoot em in the guts you gotta clean them then and there as not to taint the meat.whole.not skinned or gutted,some have been in there for months,no freezer burn.the best insolation is their skin and their guts freeze within ten minutes so i have dozens of squirrells frozen in my freezer whole.i will take out six and defrost them the day before.i can clean six big squirrells in less then an hour.i have never gotten sick.the meat always stays good and no bags or anything just throw them in my old meat and fish freezer outside.sounds nuts and people gave me crap for it til they saw it and i ate them.it is perfect,just have do a clean kill and get em in there right away.in 25 years i have been doing it that way and my squirrells came out perfect and tasted great and not so much as gas.it works..

10. moparman1911

Nice

great shot shooter .i love headshots

11. moparman1911

Every one

i eat every single one.eat half dozen once a week every week.i have recipe that you have to use a bowl and your fingers the meat falls right off.i have dozens in my freezer.i shoot at lest two a day.seven in one day.two at once mating.nothing goes to waste.in florida by me are big hares and rabbits but alot of hares.i go out at night in a couple places and my friend holds the light as i pop em.i have illuminated retical scopes on my guns so it makes it so much easier.love them varmints.i grew up in upstate new york and all we did was hunt and fish and nothing ever went to waste

12. hombre243

Those squirrels eat the skull? Calcium and salt

13. moparman1911

yup..

it is like candy to them.there will be three or four coming or going up and down the tree.they ate off most of the one horn and ate right into the eye socket and sit in there and eat.they chew the i guess brow section.it looked really good sitting up there.but now this week alone i shot five off of the skull.it is like a perfect shooting platform.if they are facing me.i shoot them in the face or right in the dead of the chest.the side shot i shoot through the shoulder and it breaks their spine and destroys the heart and lungs and liver.the head shots,i can take a shot right through the ear and take off the other side of it`s face and it is dead but does not know it and flops around a couple of seconds.i do not think it is marrow.i think the marrow is all gone i think it is what you said the salts and calcium.before the steer skull i put up a couple old deer skulls and they where eaten in one season.no many how many i shoot they always come back that day or the next.i shot one and it dropped but i saw a big fatty coming down the tree so i sat there still and that sucker went right onto that skull and i shot it off and had two fatties in less than five minutes..none go to waste.i de bone them and the bones and ribs and scraps i boil and cool down and feed to my four jack russells..

14. SHOOTER13

Bagged a few more today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

That's a fenced in canned hunt :eek:

:D:D

16. SHOOTER13

No...that's a "hanger"...which is extra points in squirrel huntin' and pitchin' horseshoes !! ;)

17. hombre243

OK You twisted my arm

Shooter, I thought about this ever since I joined the forum and tonight I just couldn't stand it anymore. I ordered a Gamo Silent Cat in .177. It is advertised to shoot at 1250 fps. My guess is it shoots the 4.5 gr pellets at a high velocity. All well and good...but, will those lightweight pellet kill squirrels and rabbits or do I need to get a bit heavier pellet for that?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  18. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Pee and take medicine!!!???? lol

19. SHOOTER13

Close...Pee and make coffee !! :D

Luckily...no need for meds yet !!

20. SHOOTER13

Believe it or not hombre...those pellets will drop them...dead !!

( Given correct shot placement...of course )

If you look at all the kill pics I have posted...I either hit 'em in the head or heart...one shot, one kill !!