Marlin Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Is it the best turkey you ever ate? I like duck and turkey a lot and been told the wild ones will blow my mind.
I think it tastes NOTHING like tame turkey. I ( and the rest of the family ) don't soak it in anything. Has a real mild flavor. But I suppose like all game will somewhat take on a flavor depending on their diet in their area. Same for venison, squirrels, rabbits. Some don't care for the flavor and have different methods of soaking ect. To each his own.

Here is mostly Cattle country, not a lot of crops that are ferterlized, just pasture and native timber, oak, hickory, walnut, beech.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Being it was my first wild turkey and everyone I spoke to, I think my wife was nervous about the dark meat taste. Everyone was telling us to just cut out the breast and toss the rest. Personally.... I have a problem with that. If you hunt it....eat it!
Would you shoot a deer and just eat the back straps?
Our next bird , hopefully we get one :) is going to the roasting pan naked :)
A lot of people are funny about wild game. They think it will have some kind of funky taste or texture. I've been served some high $ steak in resturants I wouldn't give to the dog.

If you roast a wild turkey you will find it is a lot leaner than the domestic bird. By that I mean very little fat. If youre not careful will come out very dry. Dosnt take as long to cook. I really like it deep fried in a turkey fryer in peanut oil. Im partial to the crispy skin. When my sisters where here last fall I did a young tom that way and they picked it clean.....and I mean BARE BONES.....LOL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.