Marlin Forums banner

Spotted first BIG buck of the year !!

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  SWO1 
#1 ·
At 0900 looked out the kitchen window. Down about 100 yds with his head down, munching on grass. He was real good size with what, without my glasses was a NICE rack. I went into the gun room to get some glass to check him out. My wife called out .... He just took off like a shot. Said he flagged and beat feet. He went in the direction of the road and if he crosses will be on the other side with the cows and horses. But I guess he was over here last night. Maybe checking out the does that hang around over on this side ...... :) Hope he makes an appearance for the grandson Saturday/Sunday.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Its 0445 and will roll the BAWANAS out of the rack at 0515. All the gear is ready. Oldest will be in his stand on the North 40, Area of the sighting of the Big Buck. I will have the youngest, cant hunt my himself yet, in the main stand with me. 45 deg now and only supposed to get low 50s today, 30-40s tonight so we can let em hang. Hope to have a productive day. I cant hunt, just a guide this weekend, but I ENJOY just as much. Starting Monday will break the Grandaughter in on the .243. She will hunt this year starting regular season with me. She does good with the 410 so should be Ok with the 243.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
At 0930 spotted a doe coming at a trot. Still quite a few leaves on so hard to spot till they are close. She trotted into and right on thru the clearing. She went into the draw headed North toward the oldest Grandson. Called him on the walkie-talkie for a heads up. At 1015 he called back and said he had a couple in the thick brush but didn't have a shot. Said they headed back up the draw. 1040 one walked up in back of the stand about 80 yards out. It crossed the lane and went into the brush headed back south. Stopped about 60 yards out. The youngest grandson laid the 7X Marlin 308 across the window sill, said he only had a head shot, I said BEST ONE BUDDY.

Right below the left ear....out just under the right eye, Down like a 100lb sack of taters, they don't go NOWHERE......I learned him good. Great shot by him. Me and the oldest will go back up this afternoon around 4. Its a little button Buck, about 80-90 lbs. Can tag it as a Doe. MIGHTY GOOD EATIN......

Attachments

Discussion starter · #12 ·
The young'un is done till regular season. Can only take one Youth Portion. The oldest and myself are back out in about 30 minutes. Cameron says his is all gonna be Jerkey. He did most of the skinning and gutting. He has a new Buck Skinner, nice knife. He did a real good job. Took him about an hour but a clean slick deer. Only nicked a gut right at the end, got a little crap on a hind qtr, but it wiped off good. If I get one will let him work it up also, FOR PRAC APP OF COURSE....:p

I dress mine hanging from the head. Skin, then cut the sternum with a saw, spread the ribs, open the rest up and start peeling everything out onto the ground. It all comes out one piece, nice and clean. If you lay the hide under the hanging deer all the innards fall onto it and the whole mess can be drug off into the bushes. I dress em out FAR, FAR away from the hunting area. Here is another pic of the bullet exit. The Sierra 150gr Game King do a fine job.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #13 ·
We got back into the stand at 1630. 1810 the HEARD came thru....:p Where about 4-6 of them. They were all small. Wouldn't stand still. Kept walking around picking up acorns. Carson took a bead and from just in back of the 50 yard tree..............It bucked up and took off as did the rest of em. It was getting dark so we went right down and started to look for blood. Found a small piece of bone with a little blood at the spot.

Trailed it for about 50 yards.....making a circle and coming back to within 10' of the shooting spot, just 30 yards on the other side. Shot went in Low in the neck, down thru the chest and broke the right leg on exit. The piece of bone we found was from the Leg.

TWO for TWO today. This one is also a small button buck....a little smaller than Camerons.

All done till the 16th when the regular season starts.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the Grats guys....But I just watched....boys did it all, cleaned em also. Ole Grandpa just had a blast seeing them make good shots and will get to enjoy the Venison. They might even give me a bite......:rolleyes:

Used to be it was just a big Picnic......Take a nap....come home early. Now they actually have a feeling for whats around them, Noises, little movements. They both spotted their deer first...and that's a first. Now they are upset because they cant go again until the 16th. My grand daughter helped clean the second one and is biting at the bit to go out herself. If she can get one this year it will be the BEST DEER SEASON OF MY LIFE........:D

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Have to get some Jerkey seasoning today. both deer are hanging in the barn in body socks, skinned. Will cut up in a couple of days and partialy freeze for slicing. Marinate for 24 hours and then into a 200deg oven for a couple hours. The oven is faster and just as good as a commercial lashup.

They will probley have it all ate up by regular season and ready for more....;)

The 7X Marlin has one, and the Savage Axis also. both one shot drops with reloads. Now will see if the Rossi Wizzard can keep up......:rolleyes: The leaves are dropping fast and should be thinned out good by the 16th. Hopefully the rut will start and some bigger deer will start moving around the area. I will recheck the critter cams today, The one at the main stand should have all of Saturdays action on it. I screwed up and didn't get Cameron a doe tag so he had to use his Land owner ANY DEER tag on the Button Buck. Now will have to buy him an Any Deer, but for him they are Half Price @ $8.50. Doe Tags are $3.50. Carson still has his Any Deer Tag.

I have two freebees, an Any Deer and a Doe. My Grandaugher has an Any Deer Land Owner. Will see how she does to start. Any Deer is 16th-26th. Anterless portion is 11/27-12/8. A dead period and then Alternative Method ( Black Powder & Center Fire Pistol ) which is any deer again 12/21-12/31. 1/4-1/5 is another 2 day youth, Late Portion which is any deer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.