Marlin Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on re-finishing a stock this winter. I would normally use about 12 coats of Tru-Oil, but I thought I would try something different this time. I would prefer a matt or semi-gloss finish. Has anybody used a spay that was available at Home Depot or Lowes? Doing a really nice job with Tru-Oil can take almost 3 weeks. I was hoping to cut that time down to a week after the sanding was complete.
Thanks for the help.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks nice. You are right I am doing a wood stock on a 336. Does one coat of Johnson's wax put a thick enough protection on the wood? Do you need to re-wax it every couple months like a car to keep it looking good?

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it seems like everybody is doing some kind of rub on finish. I guess I'll be breaking new ground if I try a spray.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OMT...zachly what I am thinking. If I'm not happy with it, I can always go back to plan 'B'.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Speed Shooter...I just bought a can of that stuff two days ago and plan on trying it soon. Things keep popping up and interfering with my gun projects.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
OMT...I see those pictures, nice looking rifle.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I would be interested in seeing how that turns out. Post some pictures when you are done. My only word of caution would be...you need to be careful in the areas of wood to metal fit. I think the spray on rubber stuff would be so thick that any over spray would effect correct bedding.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Okay here is one of the projects I wanted to try using the spray on finish. This is a very plain piece of wood that came off a pre-safety 336. The rifle was a safe queen and the butt stock was dry with some minor MarShield cracking. These pictures show it after some sanding and two coats of MinWax spray. So far so good, I'll post some pictures of the finished product in a couple of days.

Attachments

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Okay...so the butt stock is back on the rifle. The project took me 3 days from start to finish, which is quite a bit shorter than if I had used Tru Oil. I ended up using 8 coats of MinWax spray. The end result is very close to the original MarShield, except not quite as shiny. I actually like the satin finish better than the original Marlin high gloss.

Attachments

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Those see-thru rings keep the 42mm objective lens off the barrel. :p :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.