Marlin Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· Banned
1,241 Posts
I've done a stock with Minwax Spray-on Poly in the satin finish. It's quick drying, and I gave it about 3 - 4 coats, cant remember exactly, and it looks really nice. I know people hate spray on finishes, but that's what Marlin uses on their stocks.
that's why mine got stripped off and started over. the spray on finishes don't seem to hold up as well over time. if you shoot it very seldomly or it spends most of it's time in a safe, then it's alright, but if you shoot or handle them as much as i do mine, they just don't hold up as well. the finish Marlin used was called Mar-Shield, and was IMO one of the only bad points in Marlin rifles.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Speed Shooter...I just bought a can of that stuff two days ago and plan on trying it soon. Things keep popping up and interfering with my gun projects.

· Registered
30 Posts
spray finish

I've done a stock with Minwax Spray-on Poly in the satin finish. It's quick drying, and I gave it about 3 - 4 coats, cant remember exactly, and it looks really nice. I know people hate spray on finishes, but that's what Marlin uses on their stocks.
Good for you speed_shooter; i almost used the spray instead i used minwax poly rub on. I used high gloss its nice but a little much. I wish i used the satin. When i get up to it i'll use some 4-0 wool and put some satin on. Are you going to post some pics? I did get some pics to my album, but don't know how to get them to thread, not very good with all this high tech.

· Banned
1,241 Posts
Good for you speed_shooter; i almost used the spray instead i used minwax poly rub on. I used high gloss its nice but a little much. I wish i used the satin. When i get up to it i'll use some 4-0 wool and put some satin on. Are you going to post some pics? I did get some pics to my album, but don't know how to get them to thread, not very good with all this high tech.
OMT, when you post a reply, click on the icon at the top of the reply box that looks like a paperclip. it will open a box up that will allow you to browse the pictures on your computer.

here are some pictures of the Winchester before i refinish the wood on it. i will post some after ones later on tonight. i am stripping all the clear off and sanding it smooth and using a dark red mahogony stain for the first coat and dark walnut for the second coat, followed with a buffing out with paste wax and steel wool.

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts
OMT, when you post a reply, click on the icon at the top of the reply box that looks like a paperclip. it will open a box up that will allow you to browse the pictures on your computer.

here are some pictures of the Winchester before i refinish the wood on it. i will post some after ones later on tonight. i am stripping all the clear off and sanding it smooth and using a dark red mahogony stain for the first coat and dark walnut for the second coat, followed with a buffing out with paste wax and steel wool.
Axxe, thats a nice looking i can't wait to see it when you are finished. Thanks for the info on posting pics, i'm going to try it right now.

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Floor
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts
re-finishing a stock

I plan on re-finishing a stock this winter. I would normally use about 12 coats of Tru-Oil, but I thought I would try something different this time. I would prefer a matt or semi-gloss finish. Has anybody used a spay that was available at Home Depot or Lowes? Doing a really nice job with Tru-Oil can take almost 3 weeks. I was hoping to cut that time down to a week after the sanding was complete.
Thanks for the help.
Hyphen; thanks to axxe i finally got my pics posted. OMT"

· Banned
1,241 Posts
FINALLY, i'm so excired thanks so much ax. OMT"
your welcome OMT. here are some of the winchester after pictures. i might do it again just to get it somewhat darker in color than what it is now.

Attachments

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
OMT...I see those pictures, nice looking rifle.

· Registered
30 Posts
Ax i think it looks great, darker might look good also just a matter of personal taste. I wish i didn't use the high gloss, when i get up to it i'm going to do a tung oil hand rub. but for now it is what it is. I never refinished a stock before so i'm learning. Thanks for the pics. Good job OMT"

· Banned
1,241 Posts
Ax i think it looks great, darker might look good also just a matter of personal taste. I wish i didn't use the high gloss, when i get up to it i'm going to do a tung oil hand rub. but for now it is what it is. I never refinished a stock before so i'm learning. Thanks for the pics. Good job OMT"
OMT, looks good, don't see any problem with it. everybody has different tastes when it comes to finishes on their firearms, nothing wrong with that. my way isn't the only way, just another way. keep the refinishing pictures coming guys, i'm enjoying looking at others handiwork. i think i might try to find some type of darker stain this weekend and try it out on the winchester.

· Banned
1,241 Posts
I want to do the entire stock.. Black gloss rubber.. What is the best product? Figure I ask I got the stuff of tv wondering if it would work don't want to screw things up..
i think i see where you are wanting go with this. as i have never done this, i will point out some key factors that apply. preparation is the key. completely strip the old finish and roughen the stock by sanding with at least, say 80 or 100 grit sandpaper. spray the material on the stock in light coats, at least two, possibly three depending on how well the material covers. let it sit and cure at least 24 hours before handling. my suggestion for a product, would be some of the bedliner material sold at an auto parts store. hope this helps you out.

· Registered
40 Posts
yes..yes it does already got the stock stripped and sanded. And doing a little shaping to the grip and cheek rest.
I thing the bedliner stuff would be more durrable in the long run.. Plus that means I can do ....COLORS yes. All black with red grip area and a band on the stock..

Ohhh I Love My New Hobbie!!
...and my wife is ok with it..Score!

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I would be interested in seeing how that turns out. Post some pictures when you are done. My only word of caution would be...you need to be careful in the areas of wood to metal fit. I think the spray on rubber stuff would be so thick that any over spray would effect correct bedding.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.