Marlin Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
So just decided not to do the spray. Tried it on a sanded piece of wood and it looked horrible in such a large area. more For like your scopes I imagine, or tape off a grip and do that. But for the entire stock I decided it was to much. . Going with a all natu-ral look..

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Okay here is one of the projects I wanted to try using the spray on finish. This is a very plain piece of wood that came off a pre-safety 336. The rifle was a safe queen and the butt stock was dry with some minor MarShield cracking. These pictures show it after some sanding and two coats of MinWax spray. So far so good, I'll post some pictures of the finished product in a couple of days.

Attachments

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Okay...so the butt stock is back on the rifle. The project took me 3 days from start to finish, which is quite a bit shorter than if I had used Tru Oil. I ended up using 8 coats of MinWax spray. The end result is very close to the original MarShield, except not quite as shiny. I actually like the satin finish better than the original Marlin high gloss.

Attachments

· Registered
176 Posts
The stock refinish turned out pretty good. I too like a satin finish rather than high gloss.

Now the stock really highlights those see-thru rings. ;)

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Those see-thru rings keep the 42mm objective lens off the barrel. :p :D

· Registered
198 Posts
spray on finish all new animal

hi am i am steve a new member.i owned a gunshop for 9 years and refinished owners guns every way possible but the body man in me for twelve years came out.if your gun is not checkered or fancy just plain i have done this many times and every gun came out totally different and beautiful.i will take off the stocks and de-grease them and take off any old finish to the wood now here is the crazy part but it looks fantastic.i have done it on alot of laminated ak47`s and rough wood military guns,back on subject i would bleach the stock if it was too dark to lighten it up to do what i want to do with it.now here is where you guys will think i am nuts i will take egg dye,yes i am not crazy i said egg dye and either use it a solid color green looks nice or make my own shades and if you don`t like it wipe it off with water.so after the egg dye and this is for plain stocks not fancy checkered stocks.i would go to the body shop suppy and buy a pint of car clear and hardened and reducer.i would mix a half a cup up and spray a tack coat as if you put a full coat on the clear soaks in forever,the next day i would carefully use triple ot steel wool and just scuff off any fuzzies.i will coat and re-coat the stocks a half dozen times and let them sit a week so any sinking in will be finished i would then take 2000 wet sandpaper and sand the clear smooth,no dirt flat as flat can be then take a car buffer and go over it til it gleams like a new car and after a month or so of completely curing the finish is deep and hard as nails and you can clean your gun using chemicals as the clear is not laquer based so it won`t eat it off,it is super durable and the color pops,i had numerous guns on the sks boards,i built an ak47 in green and it got 3 pages of posts they called it the st.patty`s day gun,ben at classic arms.us posted a bunch of stocks i had done and when i sent him pictures he said he never saw anything so beautiful.so if you have the aptitude and want to try something new it is a great project that is tough as nails and if you scratch it sand it with 2000 wet sand paper and re-buff it.i know it is completely unconventional and will not work on checkered guns because the clear would fill in the checkering.the stocks come out like glass but do not use rattle can clear as it is laquer based and any chemical will eat it off,just something new and totally different for you guys to think about

· Registered
198 Posts
gun refinishing

thanks axxe55 i posted a bunch of pics of my marlin 1895 guide gun in stainless with larg loop lever and black laminate furniture with top rail and sx sites in 45/70.it is scoped right now but i plan to put a leupold scout scope it fits the gun better and i usually never shoot past 150 yards if that.so check out my pics there are a bunch of pics when i got in country from iraq.i have 5 safes of guns but 2 marlins and the other one is a 336c 30-30 since i had a kid.i owned a gunshop in florida for nine years but thanks for liking my idea,it is way out of the box but it does come out absolutely beautiful.looking forward to reading your posts...steve

· Registered
43 Posts
OK Don't be too hard on me on this one. I did it 38 yrs ago when I was 14 (Yes Dutch you are older by 6 months:p) Anyway I sanded all the horrible Dark Brown stain off with sand paper and no after 38 yrs I do not remember what grit but I asked my wood shop teacher what to use and he gave me 2 different grits and some steel wool. and used a Walnut stain (Which I had to buy no freebee from the school wood shop:eek: and applied 3 coats. Then I put min-wax on it and let her dry. I have done nothing to it since (I know I should have. I think that is where the dark color is coming in as it wasn't like that 38 yrs ago. Since then it has gone all over the western USA and has had more than 20 kids learn how to shoot with it including my Daughter. I almost forgot the white lining between the stock and the buttplate is cut from a bleach bottle. My Dad thought it would make a nice touch. I did the stock refinishing job while my Parents were out of town thinking Dad would get mad at me. But he wasn't. He was proud of me that 1 I took on the responsibility and 2 that I was smart enough to get "Professional Advise" from the shop teacher.

Attachments

· Registered
77 Posts
I plan on re-finishing a stock this winter. I would normally use about 12 coats of Tru-Oil, but I thought I would try something different this time. I would prefer a matt or semi-gloss finish. Has anybody used a spay that was available at Home Depot or Lowes? Doing a really nice job with Tru-Oil can take almost 3 weeks. I was hoping to cut that time down to a week after the sanding was complete.
Thanks for the help.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331108

Mine took 4 days, 8 coats of True Oil and the secret ingredient(have to read the post to find it) Then waited a week to wax it:

Attachments

· Registered
198 Posts
Nice

ok don't be too hard on me on this one. I did it 38 yrs ago when i was 14 (yes dutch you are older by 6 months:p) anyway i sanded all the horrible dark brown stain off with sand paper and no after 38 yrs i do not remember what grit but i asked my wood shop teacher what to use and he gave me 2 different grits and some steel wool. And used a walnut stain (which i had to buy no freebee from the school wood shop:eek: And applied 3 coats. Then i put min-wax on it and let her dry. I have done nothing to it since (i know i should have. I think that is where the dark color is coming in as it wasn't like that 38 yrs ago. Since then it has gone all over the western usa and has had more than 20 kids learn how to shoot with it including my daughter. I almost forgot the white lining between the stock and the buttplate is cut from a bleach bottle. My dad thought it would make a nice touch. I did the stock refinishing job while my parents were out of town thinking dad would get mad at me. But he wasn't. He was proud of me that 1 i took on the responsibility and 2 that i was smart enough to get "professional advise" from the shop teacher.
the thing looks great,hey we all have different ways of doing things and if it comes out to your liking that is all that matters.so how could we be mad you.you did a good job.my car clear coat thing i did because i painted cars for a long time and after a good 2000 wet sanding and buffing it is deep and shiny but can`t be used on any checkered guns as the clear will fill the checkering.i have refinished guns for customers in every way possible but that is a look that is different from anything,just another way to finish a gun.good job

· Registered
198 Posts
Good job..

ok don't be too hard on me on this one. I did it 38 yrs ago when i was 14 (yes dutch you are older by 6 months:p) anyway i sanded all the horrible dark brown stain off with sand paper and no after 38 yrs i do not remember what grit but i asked my wood shop teacher what to use and he gave me 2 different grits and some steel wool. And used a walnut stain (which i had to buy no freebee from the school wood shop:eek: And applied 3 coats. Then i put min-wax on it and let her dry. I have done nothing to it since (i know i should have. I think that is where the dark color is coming in as it wasn't like that 38 yrs ago. Since then it has gone all over the western usa and has had more than 20 kids learn how to shoot with it including my daughter. I almost forgot the white lining between the stock and the buttplate is cut from a bleach bottle. My dad thought it would make a nice touch. I did the stock refinishing job while my parents were out of town thinking dad would get mad at me. But he wasn't. He was proud of me that 1 i took on the responsibility and 2 that i was smart enough to get "professional advise" from the shop teacher.
hey,brother that is a fine job and if you are happy with it,that is all that matters.but it looks good.anyone who would say bad things about that refinishing job are not nice people.i think it looks swell and i refinished guns in every way possible and even crazy off the wall refinishing.i say thumbs up on your work..

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.