Spring deer season ??

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Mar 8, 2014.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Hit a dad-gummed deer this morning at 0615. In town to boot. It came out of a business driveway as I was leaving town. I was slowing down to turn left (about 30 mph) and she was there like a shot. Knocked her down and then she got back up and ran off to a thicket of woods. No damage to the truck, knocked the bow-tie off the grill and a few tufts of hair on the bumper.

2. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

Glad there wasn't to much damage. Do you guys get to take the deer if ya hit one? Here in Michigan if you hit one, it's yours. If ya don't want it , the county will call people on a deer pick up list. I picked up 6 last yr but only 2 this year

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

You outlaws in your Chevys !!!

4. SWO1

Got to call Conservation. During season there is a big need at shelters, soup kitchins and the like. They almost always take those and donate. Conservation pays for processing.

Out of season I don't know. See a lot along side the road, people who hit em just drive off. Some are hit and travel a ways before they die.

5. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

I picked up 3 this year, turned down 6 . Just didn't have time to get them. Last yr I picked up I think 6. Froze about 150# of meat. Plus gave away about 60# and a nice size 9 point.

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that the truck survived okay.
    I once wondered how people hit deer. After all, they're big enough to see. That is until one darted out in front of me and I couldn't stop fast enough. Then a few years later, I hit the second one. They sure can be quick.

7. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

My Niece Brenda hit an elk going around Willapa bay in Washington a few years ago, she was on a sharp curve so was only doing around 35 MPH, The elk had to be put down and the F150 was totaled, Brenda didn`t get a scratch

8. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

9. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

You do have your deer endorsement on your driver license don't you? LOL
    I got to tell you these true stories.
    My wife, about 20 years ago, called me when she got to where she works. She told me she hit a Kangaroo. I told her kangaroos don't live around here in the wild. She said well it jumped like one. I asked what road she hit it on. I went and there was a small young deer on the side of the road. I took it home and dressed it out and into the freezer.
    When she got home I looked at the car. It looked like the deer ran into right front side fender then it seemed to have spun around and hit the rear side fender. Just two places with small dents. It was a small kangaroo.lol

My brother had a deer jump and broke his windshield and when brother stopped the deer got out of his windshield and ran off into the woods. State trooper asked if he wanted it if they found it. Brother said no. The car was a new model Nissan and it took a month to get a windshield for it.
    A friend of mine called and said he saw a deer dead on side of road that someone had cut off the front hooves and the antlers. He asked would I go get it. Probably not the smartest thing to do but we went and got it and dressed it out. Good thing a cop or game warden didn't see us.
    I used to often see deer crossing the roads around here but not much anymore. I guess to much new housing has been built.

10. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

They must have moved the deer crossing:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgGSLybhFOc[/ame]

11. straightshooter

Well dang it! All I need do is go to the county road dept and have them put the signs up so I will see the deer again?
    Hombre you are so full of good info........... lol well you are full of something anyway. Good humor would be one.
    As old as this thread is I wonder has SWOI hit another deer by now? LOL I bet he had forgotten he even started this thread.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  12. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Speaking of grill...

http://www.buckpeterson.com/original.html

13. SWO1

NO NO ..... didn't forget. There are a lot of things I don't recilect .... but cant remember what they are now.

Took the Bawana out yesterday afternoon to show me where he said there were 3 scrapes on trees. After roaming around for about an hour ....:confused: From the look on his face as we waded thu the Ticks and Chiggers I could see a confused look. He didn't have a clue where they were at, or even where he was. Following him we passed the same places numerous times. I finally said, that's it we're going home. He headed off and I asked ... where are you going ...home he said. Might take you a while to get there in that direction.....follow me Daniel Boone, Im hungry, this way .....about 180 deg the RIGHT WAY ..... lol. We're going to my oldest grandsons football game tonight, him and my grandaugher can always find the way to the consession stand.

14. straightshooter

That's why I can't go hunting in the woods. I need a GPS to find my way back.