Starting to redo my Marlins

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by Spud9, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Well, I started today with my original M60. Today I got the receiver cleaned to the bare metal and polished to a mirror shine as well as the bolt. Removed the barrel and polished it as well. Tomorrow I will finish the trigger job and start redoing the stock. This is one of 4 M60's and 1 M795 I am doing. I will keep the posts coming as I progress. Comments and questions are welcome.

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Lookin' good so far...!!

3. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Ok, I am just about finished. The only thing I need to get is new sights. Here is what have been done to my original 1982 (first gun ever) Marlin 60:

Polished Receiver
    Polished Internals
    DIP trigger and trigger job
    Polished bolt and release
    Polished/cleaned barrel and feed tube
    Sanded/restained and finished stock.

Going to put on fiberoptic sights.

And yes, I shortened the feed tube.

I call her the "Ghost"
    Two shades of grey stain and 4 to 5 coat of Crystal

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

looking good Spud! looking good. the stain is definately a different finish than normal. you did a good job on the polishing the reciever.

5. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I had fun doing it and look forward to refurbishing 3 Glenfield 60 squirrels I acquired recently. Along with doing two ruger 10/22 builds.

A madman's work is never done....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  6. pahack1972

pahack1972 Member

I am thinkin of refinishing my 25 Glenfield! Just don't know what kinda stain to use!

7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Very impressive Spud. I really like the finish on the stock. Then again, I'm a sucker for things that are out of the ordinary and unique.
    Did you use any type of finish or clear coat on the receiver???

8. mrvalpyro

mrvalpyro Active Member

Wow that's shiny
    Nice finish on the stock, very out of the norm love the color

9. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

If you are talking what "kind" of stain, any stain will do, or what color? The color is up to you and I would advise getting a similar piece of wood and do sample pieces and finish them with either tung oil or poly, or whatever you are going to finish with. It will give you a better idea of how the gun will turn out.

10. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

No finish other than polishing it. I am thinking about dabbling in anodizing soon and may just anodize it natural for better protection. If I do get into the anodizing I am going to strip and polish the receiver from one of my Glenfields and anodize it black. I am getting ready to do one of my 10/22's and I am going to oil blue the bolt. I will let you know how that comes out.

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Excellent job spud !!

12. mrvalpyro

mrvalpyro Active Member

Can't wait to see that I'm just getting into smithing and to see other.peeps do it reassures me that its possible for me to try as well

13. pahack1972

pahack1972 Member

Its more the color! I would like a lighter, softer tone!

14. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

try lighter or clear first as you can easily darken the color rather than going back to lighter, unless you start all over again.

15. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Might as well polish out the barrel & paint the mag tube ;)

What did you use to polish the receiver out??

16. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

I used a scotch brite buffer ball,320/600/1000 grit paper, two grades of jewelers rouge ( aka polish sticks from harbor freight). I am going to anodize it soon.

17. natehammer

natehammer Member

Beautiful job! Want to do mine now?

18. Bearhands

Bearhands Well-Known Member

It's unique, it's one of a kind.... and you should be very proud of that gun!.... It's a looker for sure! Congrats!

19. storm

storm Well-Known Member

How does the receiver look now that some more time has gone by? I've been debating on whether or not to strip my receiver (but not the barrel) and do the same.

20. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

It looks the same but I got a bug up my ass.... so I took it all apart again, it still has some little blemishes so I am going to buff it out again, anodize it black and re blue the barrel nice and dark and redo the stock so it is alittle darker... I am also starting to work on another one, going to polish the receiver and anodize it blue and put it in a Boyd's SS Evolution stock. I can 't stop... Just have to make time to do it all.... along with my (don't hate me...) Ruger builds.