Starting to redo my Marlins

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by Spud9, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I decided to mess with the marlin I just redid the stock on.... Went a little different direction. I think my son will think it is kewl when he is old enough and I give him this one....

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I like it. Pretty kewl indeed. Might even call it sexy.
    Job well done. Thanks for sharing.

3. storm

storm Well-Known Member

VERY nice. What are you doing with the "old" stock? :D

4. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

4.jpg
    This is what became of my old stock but I wasn't happy with it so I did some other work to it and really didn't like it so I am planning on redoing it again. Along with the 4 other squirrel stocks I have aquired. Not sure if I will actually use the old stock for anything tho.

5. storm

storm Well-Known Member

I liked the way it was before in the post where you called it "the ghost"... I was gonna offer to swap my blonde/brown squirrel for it, but you went and changed it :p

6. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Actually, I did change the old stock alittle and didn't like how it came out. I am going to fix it back to the ghost stock.... some light sanding and another coat of clear and it will look like the pic of the "ghost again". I am planning on doing one of my Squirrels in a very similar fashion, grey on grey with either dark grey or black glazing on the imprints. It will be one of a kind. When I finish redoing the "Ghost" I will post it, then PM me. We can work something out.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

That "blue boy" really turned out nice...great job!

Your son will love it...

8. storm

storm Well-Known Member

Sounds good, Spud. I'll keep an eye out for it.

9. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

That blue laminate stock makes the barrel look as long as an old flintlock! Great effect. Any "kid" will think it's kewl and will probably want to shoot it long before you'd expect. It's just a natural thing to do..."BURN POWDER...Must Burn Powder"...poor cavemen missed out!

Speaking of cavemen and not really trying to step on your toes but...you're Forum icon is "ricky bobby"...just wondering why? It seems by my recollection when if came to the 2nd Amendment that Will Ferrell is one of the Hollywood Anti-gun nutz, though I could be mistaken with all that's been going through my head with political ploys from our crooks in government.

10. storm

storm Well-Known Member

Will Ferrell *is* an anti-gun nut, but he's also VERY EFFING funny. Seen "The Campaign" yet? You'll pee yourself laughing.

11. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

No thanks to laughing that hard...wet britches and the 30 degree temps in MO doesn't sound appealing.

I wonder what one of those in the Jacaranda color scheme would look like? Probably not as striking as the blue. Have a good week!

12. ExhaustedSpark

ExhaustedSpark New Member

Looks real pretty however unless it is only a wall hanger it will break at the 2 weak points. They are obvious to see. I would not ever shoot it as it is to weak in the stock. Wood work is real pretty though. Lot of talent went in to it but function was not considered.

13. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Spoon.... My avatar is Ricky Bobby, not Will Ferrel. I don't care what his political views are, I just think his characters are funny as hell. I quote "Well, I’m the best there is. Plain and simple, when I wake up in the morning I piss excellence". Now that thar is funny....!!! I feel a change in avatar.... enjoy!! Hehe... I was leaning towards Jacaranda but the Blue was just sleek. I may do another in Jacaranda but a different stock design...

Exhausted... It's a .22lr, not alot of kick/torque. The week spots you hint to are not as weak as you think (unless you drop it from 10 ft or more) as laminates are stonger than most real wood due to it's layering and glues. I am not worried about it cracking, unless like I said.. It gets dropped from a good distance. As for function it is a target shooter, not a hunter or a battle rifle. It is very ergonomic and extremely comfortable to shoulder and the weight is almost perfect (if my stock was 2 inches smaller it would be perfectly center balanced.) Thanks for your concern and your obvious dislike for laminate wood stocks. I am curious, did you have a bad experience with one? Otherwise where do you get your negative info from? I like it.... If I ever have an issue with it cracking I will definitely PM you to let you know you were absolutely right. I have read many reviews and have never heard of any cracking, splitting or breaking. I would be curious if you have any of this info to please forward it to me as I like reading and gathering info for future acquisitions. Happy rifle building!!! Ya'll.....

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  14. storm

storm Well-Known Member

I HIGHLY doubt Boyds would sell the stock if it wasn't quality workmanship and materials, and didn't hold together as intended. Boyds doesn't sell "Display Only" items - they're MEANT to be used.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-Marlin-Rimfire-Rifles-s/186.htm

15. ExhaustedSpark

ExhaustedSpark New Member

Stock

Ment no Disrespect. work is beutiful. I am thinkintg that the first time one rested rifle against tree, table etc and put just a little to much weight on stock would break. No i have never had a stock with hole in stock like that and i do repeat it looks fantastic. The work you do is way above and beyond my capability.
    Thank you and i would like to know in the future your experiance with stock.

16. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

No problem Exhausted... Boyds makes a fantastic stock and like I said, they are strong. The center cut out is both ergonomics and weight loss. I appreciate the respect for my work, still a little more to do to make it PERFECT!!!! Ok, I am alittle obsessive... I wasn't angry nor did I take it as disrespect for my work, I just didn't know where you were coming from about the stock. If you pick one up and hold it you will see, they are very very nice. Hope you get the chance to shoot one.

17. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Got me to wanting a post-Christmas Item for Me

With all the banter and the evil/kewl-looking stock...I'm contemplating how a 10/22 would shoot and look in a suit of Jacaranda. I'd have my XL dressed that way if Boyd's would have offered it when they first tooled up to accomodate Marlin owners. I dunno...but the reddish tones would seem to set the big rifle off more than the pepper stock she resides in now.

Good luck with your other improvement projects. Like the glasses on your new ICON, too!

18. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Here you go....

Ultimate1022.jpg

19. mlowe66

mlowe66 New Member

Very kool I luv the color

20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Forum mlowe66 !!