sticky chamber

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by tango6, May 28, 2017.

1. tango6

tango6 Member

I have had a Marlin 922M for several years. Great shooter. Just not 100% reliable due to magazine issues, I think.
    Recently, it is failing to extract the spent shell out of the chamber. I have deligently cleaned it, had a gunsmith clean it twice and still failure to extract. I have to use a small knife blade to PRY the casing out. I have tried 3 different brands of ammo. Still, no luck.
    Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Thank you for your service...

Is this always the case with the same brand of ammo ?...and have you tried different brands.

Has anybody looked at the extractor...!?

FTE ( Failure To Extract ) is usually caused by that part...not the "clip" ( that's right, I said CLIP ) ...as it is feeding the round into the chamber OK ( correct ?).

.22 Magnum is a high pressure round, and the case does sometimes swell after firing...and depending on whether it's a LRN ( Lead Round Nose ) or FMJ...the breach could be getting fouled a lot faster, adding to your problem of FTE.

Just a few thoughts...

3. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

When you pry it out with a knife, does it come out easy? Or do you almost have to force it? If normal / easy, maybe the extractors are worn and just wont grab the rim and hold on enough

4. tango6

tango6 Member

I have tried CCI, Armscor, and Winchester white box. Same o same o. I failed to mention, the gunsmith did put in a new extractor spring. I have owned this gun for 10+ years and always shot cci Hp or soft points. Over the years, I have experienced maybe 10 failure to extract or failure to eject. This FTEX just started about a month ago Some cases were so hard to remove that I would use a pair of needle nose pliers to get a hold of the case.

5. tango6

tango6 Member

see my reply to shooter. They come out hard.

6. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

My Model 60 has a problem with the bolt if the stock and receiver are not in a certain position
    """

;