Marlin Forums banner

Storm's Stock

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Gumpy 
#1 ·
Here are a couple of pics of Storm's Stock. A little more work and some clear and it will be good.
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plywood Office ruler

Hand tool Tool Wood Office ruler Metalworking hand tool

The Ghost will shoot again!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Finished the clear on it... it will be ready for Storm on Monday....
Shelf Wood Building Interior design Flooring

Wood Floor Beam Flooring Building

Wood Shelving Shelf Floor Flooring

Attachments

#3 ·
Storm.... no reply.... This is the stock you will be receiving in a few weeks.....

#4 ·
Wood Gesture Gas Bumper Hand tool

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Wood Tool Hand tool Automotive exterior Bumper

Hand tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Automotive exterior Bumper
Here is the finished product... Shoot straight with it..... The Ghost will shoot again.

Attachments

#7 ·
The stock just came today (ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS in person!)

I have a couple other projects that take precedence over this one (a muzzleloader I'm refurbishing for my father in law and a 1911 carry pistol that needs some cosmetic work and a refinish), but I will be certain to update once I get back to working on my Marlin!

Thank you once again, Spud!

Attachments

#8 ·
When complete the build post some pics...and shoot straight with it.... Glad you like it. I am sure you will put it to good use.

#9 ·
take a look at my other thread... I finished the glenfield...

#11 ·
Here's a quick snapshot of the Glenfield as it is now, after a quick sanding. Sorry for the poor quality - just wanted to get something up here so Spud knows his stock isn't just collecting dust :D (put 100 rds of CCI Quiet-22 through over the holiday)

I have to wait to take it any further due to financial considerations (can't afford supplies), but I should be back to work on it in the next week or so.

Spud, did your receiver have discolored spots once you removed the paint, and if so, how did you get rid of them?

Attachments

#12 ·
The receiver is cast aluminum, in other words, crap material.

Cast aluminum has alot of silicone in it which makes it streaky and imperfect, and if you handle it too much you can dull it or mar it. It will be real hard to make it perfect. You will have streaks, or spots here and there. I went thru a few sanding courses, then polishing, red and white rouge, then did it again. My suggestion would be that once you get it the way you want it, wrap it up in a soft clean cotton towel (diapers are perfect) and get some clear duracoat and spray it. That is what I am going to do with all the cast aluminum I polish from now on. The gun will come together over time. Looks good so far and believe me, I didn't think it was sitting around collecting dust... it is sitting around in anticipation waiting to be joined with a buffed out tack driving firing mechanism and barrel.

#13 ·
My suggestion would be that once you get it the way you want it, wrap it up in a soft clean cotton towel (diapers are perfect) and get some clear duracoat and spray it. That is what I am going to do with all the cast aluminum I polish from now on. The gun will come together over time. Looks good so far and believe me, I didn't think it was sitting around collecting dust... it is sitting around in anticipation waiting to be joined with a buffed out tack driving firing mechanism and barrel.
Yeah - I had a PA63 (hungarian I believe) makarov clone with an aluminum alloy frame that I had a time polishing (but it ended up coming out very nice) a few years back. Aluminum seems to take more work to polish nicely than steel does.

I think with this one, I'm going to stick with a "brushed" look instead of going for a full on polish - Not only will it be easier on the receiver, but it'll also be easier on me.

I think I got lucky with this one though - once I cleaned out the action with some spray solvent (Goof Off graffiti remover in the yellow can to be specific), the action is as smooth as I could want, and it's not too heavy of a pull. Very crisp break somewhere between 4 and 4.5 lbs - just where I like it for squirrels or paper. (no gauge or I'd have an exact weight). Maybe the previous owner did some work on it - doesn't look like it though. Could just be that it's properly worn in.

The only thing I'd like to change is the sights - I'd prefer to put some tech sights on it, but as I mentioned in another thread, the company doesn't make a front sight that fits this version. I suppose I could make it work by building up the front sight with epoxy and filing/grinding to size, but that would look pretty rough. Maybe you have another idea, or an option for a peep sight that I haven't found in my googling?

#14 ·
What year is the gun? I will see what I can find or come up with. Also link me the sights you want to put on so I can see exactly what you are trying to do. We can make this happen....

#15 · (Edited)
It's a 1972 Glenfield Mod. 60 as per the serial (72xxxxxx) - wraparound front sight base that holds on the mag tube. No dovetail up front either, just a set screw.

as an aside, I've been unable to remove the pins in order to remove the barrel and mag tube from the receiver, so if I end up having to ship it to you for anything, it'll have to be the whole rifle (a non issue since we're both in Florida and it's not a handgun).

The sights I'm interested in are the ones for the Marlin 60 here: http://www.tech-sights.com/
but they don't have to be those particular ones - I just want some better sights - this rifle is too accurate to have these imprecise sights on it. It deserves a nice set of precision sights that aren't so fine that they can't still be used for quick moving squirrels and things.

#16 ·
I looked them up, nice. We can get them on your model, just have to drill and tap a hole where the existing hold down screw is. really not a problem. Either order them and wait till they come in or find them elsewhere, I saw them on amazon too. If it is a matter of $, look at the fiberoptic sights at Midway USA and Brownells. They are nice too. Just let me know. I PMed you my digits if you need or want to call. Typing takes too long sometimes. Later Dude....

#17 ·
A few updated pics - decided to go with a brushed look. I left the rear face of the front sight black. Trying some slate blue paint on the trigger guard, but haven't decided if I like it or if I will go to either brushed bare metal (zinc I believe) or black. Still needs a fair amount of work, but it's coming along. Polished all bearing surfaces and now the action is slick as snot. Thinking about getting an extra recoil spring to experiment with getting it to cycle the CCI Quiet-22 ammo.

#18 ·
That is looking awesome. Keep it up. Cutting down the recoil spring should do the trick for the quiet ammo. Just do it incrementally. See how the front sight and the trigger guard do as they are. I like duracoat, not too expensive and easy to use, but if that is not an option, Engine paint with a heat rating might be a better choice. I like the blue, maybe the front sight in the same color...? Again, looking awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.