Marlin Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baltimore is battened down for Sandy. The storm's not really slated to come ashore until after midnight tonight but the winds are kicking up and the rains are very heavy. We're in for an interesting 36 hours!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Arlington

Baltimore is battened down for Sandy. The storm's not really slated to come ashore until after midnight tonight but the winds are kicking up and the rains are very heavy. We're in for an interesting 36 hours!
While most will be snug somewhere inside a building...remember...

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Keep yourself safe.
Will pray for all concerned.

·
Banned
5,718 Posts
My family is experiencing Hurricane Sandy first hand, being 20 miles NW of center city Philadelphia...and even though the storm has been buffeting our region, we as a family have been prepared for disaster for years, having bought and stored the essentials such as food, water, candles, batteries, plywood, tarps, guns/ammo and a 7500 WATT 13 HP generator with 6.6 fuel tank with 30 gallons of extra gas and power strips. All three of our SUVs are also gassed up....and bug-out bags standing by !!

Specs:

2-AC Duplex 120V Outlets, 1-120V Twist-Lock Outlet, 1-120/240V Twist-Lock Outlet, 1-12V DC

Full load fuel consumption (gallons/hour) 0.64

Rated wattage continuous (watts) 6000

Rated wattage peak (watts) 7500

This is SHOOTER13 reporting from Pennsylvania...stay safe !!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
We go Amish with these things - buy few perishables, cook up what we have first, lay in a good supply of dry and canned goods, oil lamps, candles, and fireplace if it gets cold. We do of course have flashlights, battery radios, extra batteries for same, and also the necessary means to protect life and limb if we get any ne'er-do-well traffic out of the city that forgets itself. We're campers so losing electricity is not a big deal to us.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Glad to see you prepared shooter13. Hope you have no prolonged problems with the storm. My sisters were here for a week and just returned to Norfolk Va, Winston Salem N.C. and Church Hill Tn. on Sunday. So far no problems for them.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep yourself safe.
Will pray for all concerned.
Thanks Grey, most appreciated. Conditions here have really deteriorated since my first post. Rain has gotten even heavier and the winds are amazing - reports tell us 40-60 mph and to expect much worse over the next few hours. Weather like this really lets man and all his machines and technology really know who is in charge.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Looks like you are even closer to the FAN....28Shooter. So far everybody on here is doin OK. Just called an old friend of mine who lives on the Jersey Shore. No electricy, everything closed and buttoned up. He is a Marine also, and a retired Police Officer. He also having lived a lot of years on the NC coast with the Hurricanes is PREPARED. Seems most everybody on here shares the same mentality and capibilities......:D

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The storm is currently raging outside and probably at its peak for the area. We're okay so far though the darkness outside adds an interesting dimension to the evening. One good thing is that all of the extended family has been spending time both online and on the phone talking to each other - kinda' like Christmas without the tree...wife even baked a fresh batch of cookies!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't imagine what it's like where you are shooter I Live on the east side of michigan and we are getting hammered with high winds and 30 foot high waves on Lake Huron which in fact I think is the record height for the lake. Looks like your ready! Take care .

·
Banned
5,718 Posts
I hope everyone here is safe at this hour...so far here we have been lucky

with only tree limbs and branches falling and some torrential rain at times...

This is SHOOTER13 coming to you from inside Hurricane Sandy...Stay Safe !!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just an FYI/update from NE/NorthCentral PA.... seems that so far, we've dodged the flood bullet (fingers crossed). The wind is nasty nasty..... things flying all over the place. It's still dark (3:30 am) so I can't tell how much physical damage has occurred locally but I have heard reports of a LOT of downed trees and power loss. Unbelievably, we still have power/internet/phone. (again fingers crossed). We've been "prepped" since yesterday am and hopefully won't have to open ONE can of Dinty Moore or canned peas :(. Praying for the safety of everyone.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had to go out last night during the height of the storm to check on my mother-in-law. She lives alone a few miles away with a creek and a lot of large old trees in her yard. Nobody could get a hold of her so my son and I went to see how she was making out. Got to her house and she and the dog were relaxing watching television - of course her phone line was out and she won't let us get her a cell phone. She turned down our offer to ride the storm out at our house so I left her my phone and came home.

Got up at first light. We have only a few light limbs down and never lost power. Did find a roofing shingle in the yard but I don't think it's one of mine.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hang in there guys. Having lived 12 years in the lowest SE portion of Louisiana...them "Caines" tend to show man who's boss. We bugged out 4 times and narrowly missed the mess that the Corps, Govt. Corruption and Katrina brought when we moved to MO to be nearer the kids and grand kids.

Our heart-felt empathies and prayers fo those that lost loved ones, but it's all part and parcel to our meager times on Earth.

·
Banned
5,718 Posts
This is SHOOTER13 reporting:

Well, my area weathered the worst that Sandy could muster with flying colors...

other than a major cleanup of limbs and branches...my few block radius went basically

unscathed...we lost cable TV and cable Internet from about midnite to 10 this morning...

and off in the distance our far neighbors are still without power, as I seen no lights last night

from my hilltop vantage point...and still hear their generators chugging this afternoon. I just

got back in from about four hours worth of picking up wood and leaves...but everyone is still

breathing.

That's all for now...this is SHOOTER13 reporting from SE Pennsylvania... wishing everyone good luck with their cleanup !!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Positive news...refreshing change. Happy to hear you didn't get compromised! Looks like a bunch of subway riders in NYC and other areas are gonna have to ride a bicycle to work or walk. They'll get it turned around...the American Spirit will succeed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts