The "Great Bawana"

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Sep 3, 2014.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

The adrenalin is just oozin out of him. Been there done that...felt good when I finally got my heart settled down. I got my first squirrel with a Sheridan 5mm pellet gun. I became a fan of the stalk and shoot from that day on. But I also discovered naps under the hickories in the squirrel woods too. Life don't get no better than that.

One day I was snoozin and woke up in the middle of a herd of does readying a young doe for the buck. I watched from about 10 feet away, all camoed up, and the 2 biggest does got one on each side of the youngun, pressed her sides and she squatted down. From out of the bushes alongside the creek about 20 yards away came the buck. He saw her dip her tail end and he did his thing. The 2 herd does trotted the newly bred doe down the pass between the oaks and back, then the herd dispersed.

That was about a month before the deer season opened in 1985. I got the buck on opening day of IL shotgun season. He was 234 lbs. dressed. I entered him for score at the first annual IL/IA Big Deer Contest after the season was over. His head measured 168 6/8. I had a point deducted for one little hook like tine on the second tine. I missed a B&C entry by 1 2/8. He may not have been a record book buck but I got 2nd place in the contest. First place head was killed less than a mile from my hunting area.

I am trying to find pictures...I lost possession of the head in 2001 when I went homeless. My friend said he would take care of it...but he sold it instead. Looks like I have to get another one...deer head as well as friend.

2. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Good friends are hard to find, aren't they hombre?

3. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Yesterday afternoon my daughter gave Cameron (Bawanna) a list of chores to do while she was gone for a couple hours. Well she had not gotten to the end of the drive when he came over, got his rifle and went Hunting. When she came back she came over and asked where Cameron was. I said he went hunting a couple hours ago. She didn't say anything just went back home. He didn't get back until right at dark. He has had his liberty card pulled thru this weekend. To add insult to injury he didn't even get a squirrel .... LOL. This morning he came by on the way to the bus stop and asked me if I could go out and UNSET his trap. He didn't want to have something in it and not be able to check it. A lot of times I envoke Grandpa authority and intervene on the grandkids behalf for SOME things. This was not one of them. I told him, Do the Crime ......Do the Time. At least he will be back out for Turkey Season ....... MAYBE !!

4. Gumpy

That's priceless! I've paid the piper before for that very thing. I was supposed to pick some salat, and went squirrel huntin'. Grandma chased me to the barn with a hickory, and hid my rifle! I had to do some serious beggin to get my gun back. It was a single shot Glenfield .22. You had to pull the firing pin back by hand to shoot it. Loved that gun!

5. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Some friends and myself would SKIP school and go hunting. Without a valid excuse (note from Mom, or doctor) would get suspended for 2 days ......more HUNTING during the week and no note required ......... ;)

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

SWO1;
    Sounds like you made the wise choice. Never a good thing to get between a mamma bear and her cub - especially if she's aggravated. :eek:

7. Gumpy

SW, what impressed me about the Bawana, is the fact that he asked you to trip the trap! I love to shoot furry creatures , but can't tolerate inhumane treatment of them.

8. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Chromed bolt and knob you pulled to set the firing pin? My first 22 was a JC Higgins single shot. I killed a ton of Missouri rabbits with it.

I must have bad luck with friends...I handed my rifle over to a "friend" who said he would checker the stock for me. Then the SOB moved and kept the rifle. I guess I will have to start gettin drunk with a better class of people.:cool:

9. Gumpy

No, it was all blued. It was my grandfathers then he gave it to me. When I went into the service, on of my cousins stole it and sold it for drug money. Now he's in prison in Texas for armed robbery! He had already been in so much trouble, he couldn't legally own a gun. So much for that! A crook will find a way to get a gun.