Marlin Forums banner

The Great Caliber Debate !!

11K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  tahoe2 
#1 · (Edited)
Really suprised nobody has brought this up. It ALWAYS does on any hunting forum Ive ever been on. Sooooo here we go........................

I will start by pointing out many States/Countrys have rules that limit "or not" what size projectile may be used to take Deer. And lets for now limit it to WhiteTail (or an equivliant i.e. in Australia) as its the perdominant species the Majority on here hunt. I will give my thoughts first.

In Missouri its ANY CENTERFIRE cartridge.... No FMJ. Thats (as far as I know) .18 Bee - .50 BMG. Shotguns its .410 and up with slugs only. Black Powder is .40 cal for the minimun. Handguns is centerfire again and black Powder handguns .40 cal. And the best is......In my opinion.....

Any of the above. Reason....Its bullet placement that counts.

If you have one that you think is better, other than you just like it, and we all have our favorites, ........why is it better than the rest.

#2 ·
Pennsylvania Game Commission Rules

My caliber of choice for deer is .30 WCF...fired from my Model 1894.

Arms and Ammunition

General Statewide Seasons: (1) Manually operated center-fire rifles, handguns and shotguns with all-lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed to expand on impact; (2) muzzleloading long gun of any type or caliber; and (3) long, recurve or compound bows with a peak draw weight not less than 35 pounds, and crossbows with a draw weight of not less than 125 pounds, and not more than 200 pounds. Bowhunters must use arrows equipped with broadheads having an outside diameter of at least 7/8-inch with no less than two cutting edges, which shall be in the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface. Crossbow hunters may use bolts tipped with broadheads of cutting edge design. The use of buckshot is illegal, except in the Southeast Special Regulations Area.

Archery Seasons: Long, recurve and compound bows, and crossbows, using arrows tipped with broadheads having an outside diameter of at least 7/8-inch with no less than two cutting edges, which shall be in the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface. Persons hunting deer in archery seasons may not possess a firearm of any type.

Flintlock Muzzleloader Season: Only single-barrel long-guns .44 caliber or larger, or hanguns .50 caliber or larger with a flintlock ignition system. The firearm must be an original or reproduction of a gun used prior to 1800, with iron, open "V" or notched sights (fiber-optic inserts are permitted). A flintlock ignition system consists of a hammer containing a naturally-occurring stone which is spring-propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen, which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a gunpowder. Flintlock muzzleloader hunters may use "any single projectile," including sabots, and mini and maxi balls.

Antlerless Muzzleloader Season: Only single-barrel muzzleloading long-guns .44 caliber or larger, or muzzleloading handguns .50 caliber, including in-line and percussion sporting arms. Use of scopes and other lawful sighting devices is permitted. Fiber optic inserts may be used.

Special Regulations Areas: (all of Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties) Muzzleloading long guns, bow and arrow, manual or auto-loading shotguns, 20 gauge or larger, slugs or buckshot only; crossbows and .410 shotguns with slugs. Buckshot may not be used in Allegheny County. Only crossbows, bows and arrows are permitted in Philadelphia County. Crossbows may be used in the two-week statewide concurrent antlered and antlerless deer season.

Unlawful Sporting Arms: Automatic and semi-automatic rifles and handguns; and air or gas-operated rifles and handguns.

#4 · (Edited)
** In my mind, there is no debate.
If you like it and it does the job for you, it is the best.
Every individual is different with specific needs. Not only the caliber but subtle differences in the rifle.
First place; The Marlin 30-30. The caliber works well on whitetail. The rifle is easy to carry and quick handling.
My second choice would be the 7mm Mauser or the 7mm-08. I'm not an en-ja-ma-neer but there is something about that bullet that flat out performs on whitetail.
Third choice is the 270 win. (30-06 improved). I've owned more than one and they perform flawlessly on whitetail.
Last choice would be the 243 or 6mm. Great for longer distance, accurate and more than enough to get the job done.

My approach is to find the best rifle that is made in a desirable caliber. The rifle should be dependable, durable, not too heavy, moderate recoil, carry well and have a crisp trigger pull. I had a Weatherby Vangard w/a scope in 270 but after a long day in the woods, my arms were wore out because of the weight. I had two older Rem 760 with the exposed magazine (270 & 30-06) that didn't rest well on my forearm if I carried it across my chest. And they had horrendous trigger pull.
Last but not least, the rifle has to fit i.e. length of pull, drop in the comb, etc. After all, I'm basically a Shot Gun kinda guy.
While hunting in Pa., my friends had problems with 30-06 & 308 rounds passing through without expanding resulting in tracking the deer. I understand that bullet technology has improved, but. Some may like the performance of the Magnum Calibers but for whitetail, the question comes to mind, "Why".
** If it works for you and you're happy :D, what is to debate?

#5 ·
Sorry 1894...:D

But that 1894 has taken more deer than my Remington Model 700 in 7mm Remington Magnum

and my Remington 7600 in 30-06 Springfield put together.

And I don't think my favorite Marlin 80...in .22 short, long, and long rifle is up to task !! :p

#7 ·
I'm not sure what your asking but if you have a shotgun with a smooth bore and a hand full of chokes and change to a rifled barrel for deer and large game.with a bow for archery season then a muzzle loader for primitive weapons season and a 270 for long range shots. NEVER MIND YOU CANT HAVE JUST ONE CALIBER BUY THEM ALL AND DONT LOOK BACK :D

#9 ·
Okay........here I go. I am the self proclaimed Queen of Questions. :(

Why wouldn't you use FMJ on deer. I understand that there are certain sized calibers to use on different animals such as a .22 probably isn't a good round to use on elk. :D But I see other than caliber it seems to matter what type of bullet is used, too.

I know I'm asking a lot but could anyone explain why the different types of bullets besides the different calibers used in hunting certain animals?

And......I once ate a pheasant someone had shot and I had to keep spitting out shot. It kind of ruined the experience of eating a bird someone hunted. Is that typical?

#10 ·
To answer your question....FMJ...Full Metal Jacket, They do not expand on impact with flesh. They tend to punch straight thru resulting in small wound channels and really doing minimual damage. Yes they do kill, but unless shot in the Head, spinal cord its a slow and long death. Resulting in a lot of lost game. Also FMJs tend to punch thru things like trees and richocet off rocks causing an unsafe condition. About the only application in hunting is against Very Large, Heavy boned animals, I.E. Elephants, Water Buffalo, Hippo, where a Lot of Penetration is required to reach vital organs. A Water Buffalo skin can be up to 3" thick. On the other end of the scale you have the Varmit bullets usually with Poloymer tips and very thin outer copper cladding around soft lead. These are designed to almost explode on Impact and are ineffective on thin skinned deer sized animals. They will disinegrate before reaching vital organs. They are used by Parrie Dogs shooters and other Varmit shooters on small game where even a suitiable deer bullet whould punch righ thru without expanding.

As for the Pellets in your bird, happens a lot. Due mostly to poor cleaning and preperation. Also happens on rabbits and squirrels taken with shotguns and shotshells.

#11 ·
how about the long time favorite? the 30-06! lots of history behind that round. been to several wars, able to take most any game animal in North America and everybody loves the 30-06! it's classic and timeless!:D
A great round...proven over and over....But Not everybody likes them. I have no use for LONG cartriges, i.e. 06, 270, 300. Along with the .270 just about everybody I know perfers it. Guess Im the odd man out......:p

#12 ·
A great round...proven over and over....But Not everybody likes them. I have no use for LONG cartriges, i.e. 06, 270, 300. Along with the .270 just about everybody I know perfers it. Guess Im the odd man out......:p
I also belong to another gun forum and this round......30-06......is mentioned often in regards to deer hunting.

I have never shot an animal yet.....just paper and steel.

#13 · (Edited)
I also belong to another gun forum and this round......30-06......is mentioned often in regards to deer hunting.

I have never shot an animal yet.....just paper and steel.
Just like 1894 said; "Someone had ta stir da pot."
Most likely, it's a guy thing. Especially this time of year, with the "Rut" and all. :p Just brings up a reason for a little horn rattling.
Mix in a little pride and away ya go. (joking here - a little - maybe ;))
Accent the positive and downplay the faults and you have the best ever.
"My truck is better than your truck" kinda thing.
That is why it is a personal preference and that is what makes it interesting and profitable for the manufactures.
As for the FMJ question. SWO1 gave a pretty good answer. Based on where you are right now, consider Ball Ammo v.s. Hollow Point for your handguns. Then expand that concept into the world of rifles used for everything from varmint to dangerous game.
I am, however, surprised that the Big Bore Advocates haven't chimed in. They certainly are contenders in this debate.

And it's OK that you have never shot an animal. If you ever do, it should be because you want to, not because someone else thinks that you should.

#15 ·
The great state of Tennesse's legislature recently gave the nod on all centerfire rounds for big game. I personally believe that was a mistake. I have almost 40 years hunting experience and have seen many things. The first trophy whitetail I took had what looked like a 30 caliber jacket in his hind quarter. It had been there long enough that no lead remained. Having said that bullet placement is the most important part of havesting wild game. However I believe that the 22 hornet and 223 etc are inadequate for whitetail, as is the 357 magnum. The 410 slug is also a weak choice. I believe caliber restrictions should be imposed and based on scientific information, not personal opinion or even general concensous. Certain energy at range numbers come to mind...

#16 ·
Having said that bullet placement is the most important part of havesting wild game. ...
And this sentence is the most important part of your post. There are also a lot of Qualifacations that go along with that. Velocity and FPS on impact, bullet type and many, many more. Over all restrictions for a "certain" population of hunters would probley be OK. But you cant identify that group. Restrictions unduly pentalize the majority of capiable firearms users. Much like the pocession, CCW laws do.

#18 · (Edited)
:D @ SWO1 . If I pack up this little snowball ( read grenade ;) and I roll it down a steep snow covered mountain , I wonder what may happen :confused:

In other words , as Grey mentioned , ain't no right or wrong answer .
Shot placement with a proper projectile is key.
Also , cooler temps and shorter days have some of us doing funny things. Bare spot on the carpet from constant pawing , finish worn off the bed post from excessive head rubbing , most every tree / bush / or passage way in the yard has been peed on at least once in the last 24 hours.
Not that I've ever done anything in the above paragraph :rolleyes:
It is a fun topic , step back and watch.

#19 ·
The .270 is the best deer killer ever invented .

45-70 , may as well just throw a brick at the deer.

30-06 ??? Really they still make those antiques ?

Can't kill deer with millimeters ,deer rifles are measured in inches.

The .22 rimfire has probably killed more deer in the USA than all other centerfires combined.

#20 ·
.270......A usless caliber...No case for it so had to stick it on the end of a 30.06 brass to get over 10000000000000 fps to do any damage.......:p

45.70......See Dictionary under "Boat Anchors".......;)

30-06.....Real name is thuddy-odd-stix...In long range matches past 300 yds their great 12 ft groups where king....Until the .308 put them to pasture...:D

As for Millimeters, liters, centameters.......I dont speak French......:rolleyes:

The .22.......NOW AINT THAT THE TRUTH......AND STILL IS.

#21 · (Edited)
SWO1

Here is a copy of legal stuff from Victorian Australia Game Hunting web site. Get confused
Minimum legal calibre for deer hunting in Victoria DEER SPECIES CENTREFIRE RIFLE MUZZLE-LOADING RIFLE

Sambar, Rusa, Red .270” (6.85mm); minimum legal cartridge case length 2” (51 mm); minimum legal projectile weight 130 grains (8.45 grams). .45” (11.45 mm); minimum legal projectile weight 230 grains (14.91 grams).

Hog, Fallow, Chital .243” (6.17 mm); minimum legal cartridge case length 2” (51 mm); minimum legal projectile weight 85 grains (5.51 grams). .45” (11.45 mm); minimum legal projectile weight 133 grains (8.62 grams). Hunting deer with a bow/crossbow

Any bow used to hunt for any species of deer in Victoria must meet the following minimum specifications:

• A long bow having a draw-weight of no less than 22.5 kilograms (49.5 lbs).
  • A recurve bow having a draw-weight of no less than 22.5 kilograms (49.5 lbs).
  • A compound bow having a peak-weight of no less than 22.5 kilograms (49.5 lbs).
  • A cross-bow having a draw-weight of no less than 36.6 kilograms (80.5 lbs).
  • All arrows must be fitted with a broad-head having a minimum of two sharpened cutting blades.
  • All arrows must have a total minimum weight (shaft and broad-head) of no less than 25 grams (385 grains).
Bow/crossbow hunters must get much closer to their target than hunters who use a firearm, and stalking skills must be combined with effective concealment. For a safe and sure shot, bow hunters should not shoot beyond a distance of 30 metres. As such, bow/crossbow hunters should practice judging distances and determine their own range of accuracy.

For Fallow, and Chital I use my .222... its accurate, and will drop a stag "No Problemo"....... (Aussie saying..... " No Wuckers, Mate !"
........However the last Chital Spiker I nailed, was with the .444 Marlin at 120 mts, as it ran off into the bush.

Rusa.. a scraggy slightly smaller version of a Sambar, I use my .270, with 150gr Woodleigh pills, they drop instantly.

Sambar. although .270 Cal. with a 150gr pill is legal, it will take 5 or 6 shots to put them down. and to me that is just cruel.

.................nothing smaller than a .338, with a 212gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, is a good choice
.................My .444 Marlin, is good under 100 mts, but they can still get up, and run

.................My new .375 H & H Magnum, with a 235gr Speer Hot Core, will just flatten them.

None of my projectiles come out the other side of the animal, so all the energy from the projectile hits, (maximum efficiency.

Any calibre with the wrong Projectile is dangerous, out the other side of the animal, that is why I use HP's or Ballistic Tips, on Foxes and Roo's

Cheers.

Bucky

#22 ·
Good Info bucky.....

In comparison the Hog and Fallow deer are about the equivilant to our Whitetail. Im sure like here they run bigger/smaller demending on the area. Some whitetail here get huge in some states and in others they are really small. I know on the Atlantic Coast in North Carlolina a 90-100 lb buck is considered big. Up in Iowa in the corn belt they laugh at 250lbs. Around me a 200lb one is big.

The Sambar look to be equal almost to our Western Elk. I can understand the problems with a .270 on them.

I didnt see anything there the size of our Moose. Other than conoviours (Grizzly, Browns, and Polar)probley the most dangerous of our game. You think you are stalking them and then realize, you are the stalked......:eek: Mean, nasty critters.

Thanks again

#23 ·
Good Info bucky.....

In comparison the Hog and Fallow deer are about the equivilant to our Whitetail. Im sure like here they run bigger/smaller demending on the area. Some whitetail here get huge in some states and in others they are really small. I know on the Atlantic Coast in North Carlolina a 90-100 lb buck is considered big. Up in Iowa in the corn belt they laugh at 250lbs. Around me a 200lb one is big.

The Sambar look to be equal almost to our Western Elk. I can understand the problems with a .270 on them.

I didnt see anything there the size of our Moose. Other than conoviours (Grizzly, Browns, and Polar)probley the most dangerous of our game. You think you are stalking them and then realize, you are the stalked......:eek: Mean, nasty critters.

Thanks again
A sambar Stag is the size of a Friesian Cow, although much heavier built in the legs, and can run like a Greyhound.

Buffalo, in the Northern Territory, is our biggest game animal, and I am working on that one. But the Mate's .338 that is in my gunsafe,, is fine on them .
My part, for the loan of the 338, was to load up 200 rounds of 150gr pills, for his 270 in a Remington 700 (a twin to my 270)
2 of those rounds dropped a Buffalo in the Territory, last year. Apparently one behind the ear dropped it, and another to finish it off

Again a lot depends on placement, not caliber. I believe it is a combination of the both.

Cheers
Bucky

#24 ·
The .270 is the best deer killer ever invented .

45-70 , may as well just throw a brick at the deer.

30-06 ??? Really they still make those antiques ?

Can't kill deer with millimeters ,deer rifles are measured in inches.

The .22 rimfire has probably killed more deer in the USA than all other centerfires combined.
I grew up with British Imperial Measurement, (Almost the same as US measurement)

Metric measurements can kill too !
and converted to 'milimeters" , at age 15.
I can use both, and that's my problem, I never actually dropped one or the other.

I use US measurements for everything rifle/gun
It's easier, but trust me,,,,... "mm" is more precise. But it confuses the hell out of young fellars, that drop in with their rifles

#25 ·
And it's OK that you have never shot an animal. If you ever do, it should be because you want to, not because someone else thinks that you should.
I wouldn't mind trying my hand at hunting. I would love to put a hog in my freezer. If you knew me several years ago you would know what a profound statement that is for me. :cool: I have this fear that I would wound the animal and not kill it and not be able to find it. I would never want to inflict a slow, agonizing pain on anything.

Wow! I would think .22 is too small to take a deer humanely........unless you are a very, very good shot.

But again, I am really new to guns and even though I am learning every day I don't really know a lot about hunting.

#26 ·
Wow! I would think .22 is too small to take a deer humanely........unless you are a very, very good shot.

But again, I am really new to guns and even though I am learning every day I don't really know a lot about hunting.
I believe that he is referring to the illegal taking of deer. Use of a 22 rim-fire for taking deer is totally illegal in every state that I know of and I believe it is unethical.
This is second hand and third hand information that I believe to be true.
1. A farmer suffering from crop damage from deer and is standing on the back porch of his house, takes his trusty 22 rifle, at pistol range, and drops a young doe with one well placed heart shot.
2. A young, over zealous night hunter, takes a good flashlight and a 22 mag. and is successful in putting meat in the freezer with a well placed head shot.
3. In parts of the state where there are economically challenged residents who tend to live by the laws of their forefathers, harvest deer any time of the year. Just to feed their family. It's their way of life. Stealth works to their advantage and the 22 meets that requirement.

Whether that number exceeds legal harvest numbers is a subject for debate.

However, there are states that allow 22 cal. center-fire rifles. I have read many threads on forums where this practice is defended and considered by some to be very ethical with proper shot placement, preferable a neck shot.

And I hope you get to go Hog Hunting someday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.