Marlin Forums banner

the new bench

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Spoon 
Some of you are obviously better wood workers than I am. Nothing I've ever done with wood could ever be construed as "furniture".

Mine's in our unfinished basement with my office. A few carpet remnants makes it livable and a dehumidifier insures moisture stays away since we use a humidifier upstairs during the winter.

Table Furniture Shelf Computer desk Desk

Musical instrument Gas Household hardware Box Auto part

Attachments

Hey rooster how do you like those press mounts, do they work good ??
They work really nice. I was skeptical at first so I only bought one. After mounting and using to reload some 45-70 for a stress test I was impressed. I ordered a second on the next order of supplies/parts from MidwayUSA. I have to pull the primer catcher tube off the turret press ram to store it like you see. Most times I deprime before tumbling so the turret hasn't needed the tube yet.

The board you see lying under the bench on the floor is my old mounting plate for the Lee PPM and C press when I started reloading about 6 years ago on a folding table. I used C-clamps to mount the board to the folding table like you have for your powder measure. It worked fine, except for a little table flex, until I scrounged enough free particle board to make a heavy bench. The bench is 36x84 to give me plenty of elbow room. I had to build the top outside and bring in to put the legs on. Too big for doorways.

I've been trying to determine how I can use it to mount the MEC Sizemaster to one of those pads. I've even used a glass of George Dickel on the rocks for brain power but haven't settled on a good solution yet. The MEC base is wider and deeper than the mounting pads. I'd have to install a thin spacer on top of the pad to clear the clamp plates, then a wider/longer pad to the top of the spacer and bolt the MEC to that. Not sure if the part of the MEC base furthest from the edge of the table would bounce up and down given the leverage of the reloader. The MEC handle is up high versus below table height on a metallic reloader press. Right now there are (4) 1/4" holes in the table to mount the MEC with on the occasions I reload shotshells. Takes about 5 minutes to mount or demount it. I can reload a case of shotshells in about an hour and a half so it doesn't need to stay mounted for long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.