Marlin Forums banner

The term "American" is problematic, UNH embarrassment

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Truckman 
#1 ·
Let me start with the statement, this language guide is NOT the policy of UNH. The president of UNH has made this perfectly clear with his statement. It is quite comical to read as non-disabled, cisgender US citizen. I have a Master degree from UNH and the school is my oldest son's first choice, he is starting his senior year of high school in a few weeks.

Link to language guide:
http://www.unh.edu/inclusive/bias-free-language-guide

UNH President statement, July 29, 2015

"While individuals on our campus have every right to express themselves, I want to make it absolutely clear that the views expressed in this guide are NOT the policy of the University of New Hampshire. I am troubled by many things in the language guide, especially the suggestion that the use of the term ‘American’ is misplaced or offensive. The only UNH policy on speech is that it is free and unfettered on our campuses. It is ironic that what was probably a well-meaning effort to be ‘sensitive’ proves offensive to many people, myself included."

— UNH President Mark W. Huddleston

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.